Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I'm a newer member here...and a relatively new sax player (just started a few months ago) I'm playing a Barrington 402 Tenor with size 2 Vandoren ZZ reeds...and the plastic stock mouthpiece...
I'm wanting to get something a step up without breaking the bank...A good Jazz mouthpiece for less than $40-$50.
Please give me some suggestions...

·
More horns than I'm worthy of . . .
1,751 Posts
A used (but not vintage) Meyer hard rubber 5M or 6M can be had for $50 or $60 sometimes. I found my 5M to be a nice balanced piece, with a more defined tone than the starters, but easy to step up to, and no issues on high notes, low notes or intonation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
you can pick up runyons, hr cheaper, the yamaha 4/5c is a good solid mouthpiece which wont break the bank and will play.
meyers hr you can get them here and there.
for under 60$ you should get a decent piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,332 Posts
I have Ponzol Hard Rubber Tenor Vintage pieces for 125...BRAND NEW

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mmm kay!
Well sorry its been a while since i've been here.
I got a C5 and was so impressed i went and got a B5 as well...its got a real nice balance between bright and dark tone. I also came across a mouthpiece branded Selmer. It feels like plastic but idk...i think it may be a stock selmer cuz its not like a classical piece such as the C80. Its nondescript other than the name selmer. its got a really nice dark tone though so i like it. I'm happy with my new mouthpieces...wayy better than the stock one!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,637 Posts
mmm kay!
Well sorry its been a while since i've been here.
I got a C5 and was so impressed i went and got a B5 as well...its got a real nice balance between bright and dark tone. I also came across a mouthpiece branded Selmer. It feels like plastic but idk...i think it may be a stock selmer cuz its not like a classical piece such as the C80. Its nondescript other than the name selmer. its got a really nice dark tone though so i like it. I'm happy with my new mouthpieces...wayy better than the stock one!
Great. The selmer could be a goldentone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.