1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CountSpatula said:
Hawt tahmaleh that was four minutes of just pure pleasure... :D

I'm glad I got my hair cut today...
Good! I am tired of posting Kenny G videos though I am tired of making fun of the guy but it's an addiction!

·
Registered
337 Posts
This is far from "hardcore" stuff. This is a glorified pentatonic exercise from a beginner's improv book recorded over a cheesy electro beat. It is far from anything worth mentioning.

I can only assume you are kidding?

edit: I am of course referring to the Kenny G video.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
joelsp said:
This is a glorified pentatonic exercise from a beginner's improv book recorded over a cheesy electro beat. It is far from anything worth mentioning.
Not going to get into yet another tiresome "Kenny G Sucks!" discussion but one thing I noticed about his playing is that he puts these fast pentatonic runs in the right place. One can listen to any number of Kenny G wannabees and many times they've got the licks but not in logical places as far as the phrasing goes. Kenny's phrasing is actually quite good.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
if you have never seen kenny live then you have no standing to attack him . He can play.
he chooses syrupy songs to put on his record because that is what sells. he is the number one instrumental recording artist OF ALL TIME. he has jazz chops, but that doesn't sell. but to say he sucks or can't play just shows jealousy or ignorance.he knows what sells to his audience and that is ok with him.

if you see him live, he mostly plays tenor and he expands and jams all his songs.everyone in his band can play. i had no idea how good he played till i took a lady friend to his concert at her request. BTW, that is not a bad way to start a date that you want a happy ending to.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
OK jolly. let's put it this way. he has sold more records than any other instrumentalist up until this point in time. he has also raised the popularity of the sax worldwide and exposed many folks to the sax and some of its potential.
he records popular music for the masses, not that there is anything wrong with that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,636 Posts
This is my favorite Kenny G-track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW36W3fiybk

He's alto playing is also pretty impressive. Notice the whole band unisono-part at 3:48. Nice bass playing! Does the keyboard player have a glass of beer with him? ;-) The drummer is also great. Funny to see how he reaches those cymbals, he almost jumps when he hits the crash-symbal..

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
thank you -TH for the live video. shows a little of what he can do on alto . how about his altissimo range? now for all you kenny G haters out there why don't you post your recording to compare?? if it's so easy and just" glorified pentatonic exercises from a beginner's book"than i'd like to hear you guys do it. I can't wait.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
in pool we call the guys who sit and watch and criticize "rail birds." they will say that guy sucks or this guy sucks, or he can't bank or that guy can't play position,but the truth of the matter is all the guys they criticize would smoke them if they stepped up and played.
the rail bird's never miss a shot from their chair.
"It is not the same to speak of the bull as to be in the bull ring."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
absolutely true, Saxxsymbol. I know quite a lot of guys that smoke me. That doesn't make them good though. I know quite some guys that smoke Kenny anytime. Doesn't make them sell though.

However, records of Coltrane are still sold in Europe, but I couldn't really find Kenny G around here. Regarding instrumentalists that sell, think about Vangelis. Not on sax, but it's an instrumentalist that sold defenitely a lot more than Kenny. Madonna sells a lot more records than Kenny G too, does that make her better?

If you would have spent a split second looking at what I said, you would have noticed I don't doubt his playing capabilities. I just put them in perspective.

If you would have understood what I said, you would know I don't want to call anybody "the greatest of all times". That's very simple due to the fact that apples and lemons can't be compared. Get the point now?

PS : please learn to read. You could try to make a point without messing with my name. I hope for you you're passed elementary-school-level by now.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
never said he was the greatest anything. don't know where you read that. i said he sold more records than any other instrumentalist ("of all time" impiles up until now). I stand corrected, there is a pan flute player from romania with a 50 year career that has sold more worldwide, but not in the US, and yes that makes them good. they may not be the best players in the world but they know what sells and have taken advantage of that. but are they good? you betcha.are they great players? yes sir. are they the greatest, no. but they are great players.

my original message was anybody who says he sucks or can't play simply doesn't know what they are talking about and i challenge them to post a recording so we can all make fun of it like they do for Kenny.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
"passed elementary-school-level by now " ???
enough said.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
saxxsymbol said:
never said he was the greatest anything. don't know where you read that. i said he sold more records than any other instrumentalist ("of all time" impiles up until now).
I read that in the quote I commented on earlier. I might have misinterpreted it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts