Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a professional quality tenor saxophone for under $2,500. I have three choices right now. I've seen a Yamaha 62II for 2,400, a Selmer La Voix II, and it looks like a Barone vintage and classic would fit my price range. Which would be the best choice. I know there isn't really a "best" choice, but which one would you prefer to play a gig on. Thanks.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
That choice is easy; go with the Barone. They are excellent horns and you simply can not beat the value. Professional mouthpiece in your choice of tip, top quality professional case, top quality professional horn...they are outstanding in all respects.

Give Phil Barone a call and chat with him about his horns.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
The Selmer La Voix II is not in the same league as the other two you have listed, imo.

With that budget, you have a bunch more options. Some other, top-of-the-line Taiwanese horns, some used horns, and last but not least a bunch of "vintage" horns. However, if you have the time and inclination, get out and play as many horns as you can within that budget and pick up the one that floats your boat the best regardless of the category.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Well, I gave only slightly more for my Selmer SA80 Series II tenor that I purchased last week. It is in pristine condition and that included a final setup to make sure it was in top playing condition.

Phil Barone advised me he does not do a final setup on his horns before shipping. He told they usually did not need it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your useful posts. I'll contact Phil about his saxophone. Is there any vintage saxophones that I should keep out an eye for (I know nothing about vintage saxes).

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
The horns I've seen from Barone have needed very, very minimal "setup" work upon arrival.

However, the reason he doesn't do a setup is that he still has to ship them...and any horn that has been shipped should see a tech immediately after. I've never, ever seen a horn shipped that did not require some post-shipping setup work to be at it's best.

Phil is doing things the right way.

If you're still in middle school, don't bother looking at vintage horns. Just get a fantastic modern horn for a great price (aka Barone).

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank Saxaholic. I will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thank Saxaholic. I will definitely look into it.
If you're in middle school you really don't need a pro horn, I would wait a little while and save up so price really isn't an issue. That way you can buy the horn best for you and you won't have any regrets.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The Yamaha 62 II is a solid pro horn. I think the Yamaha will hold it's value better than lesser know asian horns. Yamaha is a known quantity and the 62 design has been around for a long time.

I wouldn't recommend the Selmer La Voix.

I haven't played a Barone. They get a lot of favorable comments from SOTW, but are not a well known brand outside of SOTW at this point.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd go with the Yamaha. They're super reliable, so if you can only afford the horn, and things like repair money are tight, it's the way to go. I've got a 23 tenor and alto, and they have never let me down in a pinch.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to get a professional sax because I want a bigger music scholar in high school because it's a tenor, and I don't want to have to buy another one later to play with in gigs when I get older.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ARC, just curios, have you ever played a 62II? I'm interested in the Yamaha sax because I'm pretty happy with my alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,944 Posts
I want to get a professional sax because I want a bigger music scholar in high school because it's a tenor, and I don't want to have to buy another one later to play with in gigs when I get older.
I don't understand this.

Are you going to switch from alto to tenor? Why not just get a better alto for high school and beyond?

(I'd keep the -23 for marching band.)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Run away from the Selmer one. Those are not pro horns.

The 62IIs are nice an bright. I think the Barone I tried (student bought one) has more personality. I'd probably chose the Barone over the Yamaha....plus the cases that come with the Barone are really nice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
I would not consider the selmer. And would easily choose the yamaha over the barone.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dr. G I am switching from alto to tenor because my family isn't that rich so I need a bigger scholarship to get into a good school (not to mention tenor is really awesome). I am keeping the 23. Anyone here who has tried both and prefered a Yamaha 62II?

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you're in middle school you really don't need a pro horn, I would wait a little while and save up so price really isn't an issue. That way you can buy the horn best for you and you won't have any regrets.
i second this. hold off until you have enough money to buy the horn you WANT not just the one you can AFFORD. No shame in waiting; it's better to spend $3800 on one horn then to spend money on a horn you won't use later.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,944 Posts
Dr. G I am switching from alto to tenor because my family isn't that rich so I need a bigger scholarship to get into a good school (not to mention tenor is really awesome).
FWIW, I'm all for playing the tenor - that's been my voice for 40+ years.

That aside, are you sure that tenor is going to get you a scholarship? Have you checked to see whether the school might already have a tenor that you may borrow for school use?

For audition purposes, playing a known instrument (alto) well may be preferred over just playing tenor not so well.

G'luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Dr G speaks the truth. If you audition super well on alto, and you can tell the person hearing you is pleased, you can always throw in the fact that you play tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Dr. G I am switching from alto to tenor because my family isn't that rich so I need a bigger scholarship to get into a good school (not to mention tenor is really awesome). I am keeping the 23. Anyone here who has tried both and prefered a Yamaha 62II?
FWIW, I'm all for playing the tenor - that's been my voice for 40+ years.

That aside, are you sure that tenor is going to get you a scholarship? Have you checked to see whether the school might already have a tenor that you may borrow for school use?

For audition purposes, playing a known instrument (alto) well may be preferred over just playing tenor not so well.

G'luck!
I'm still confused (albeit it's certainly a personal thing). Playing the tenor sax will provide for a larger scholarship than an alto? I'm not aware of such a situation, is there?

Otherwise, listen to the Dr!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts