Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have bought a Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz curved soprano, it is a very nice instrument, but I find its sound too rich of high harmonics, expecially in the high notes. I play it with the same mpcc i use on my Yamaha custom straight soprano ( morgan vintage 5 or yamaha 4C ), but I think that the curved horn needs something different. I find also the palm notes more difficult than on the straight Yamaha. ( I hope someone can understand my poor English ).
I 'm considering to purchase a Francoise Louis Spectruoso spheric chamber, or an Aizen SO.
Any suggestion?
Many thanks in advance.
gian marco

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gian Marco:

You should communicate with Joe Giardullo at Soprano Planet (www.sopranoplanet.com). I am one of many members on this forum who have greatly benefited from Joe's expertise of soprano mouthpieces. I am sure he can help you in your search. Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
You might try a Rovner Dark Lig (1RVS) to damp down some of the highs. I'd try that $20 solution before going to the $250 solution mentioned above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your suggestions.
I use a ligature very similar to the rovner dark.
Thanks for le me know Joe Giardullo.
Anyway I ordered a Francois Louis mpc.

·
Banned
686 Posts
You might want to make sure the difference is not just the fact that with a curved, the sound it in your face much more. My experience is that to the audience I can sound about the same on either, but to myself, the curved sounds much more like you describe compared to the straight or tipped bell.

Try either recording both and listening to the recording, or you can stand in a corner , facing the corner and play both side by side, and you should hear the full effect of both. You may be right, you just want to make sure it is not just your perception.

Marshall

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
I agree with Bradshawm, with the caveat that R&C sopranos tend to be a bit more free-blowing than Yamahas. Sopranos are very picky about mouthpieces, so you'll probably need to try a few.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,669 Posts
If things don't work out, get a Yanagisawa metal mpc. It will balance out the richness that you mentioned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,108 Posts
You have HSM which are made with the help and supervision of the Italian SOTW member Stan (he owns and plays a R1 Jazz curved soprano BTW ), they do personalised work
http://www.hsm-mouthpieces.com/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Try a Bari HR piece: they are great value for the money, and darker than many others.

·
40,108 Posts
I took a look and tried several Bari soprano mouthpieces, they are certainly very cheap, of more than 10 of them seen in a shop in Holland, only one was , visibly, straight, all tips looked not well finished. I bought , from the same shop, a selmer super session F which I liked very much the Francois Louis (not sphere chamber ) was also very nice .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
"only one was , visibly, straight, all tips looked not well finished"

milandro,
You must have a dark cloud around you, I've never seen a BARI that was not perfect! The BARI soprano is probably the most recommended soprano piece made.

·
40,108 Posts
possibly, and with this hope I went to the shop, I thought , what the hell, so cheap and well recommended ? They had plenty and gave me the choice..........and the result was that I took none of the Baris and went for a very well made SS, the FL would have been another great candidate

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts
2 Words - Soprano Planet (www.sopranoplanet.com)

Joe is great at hookin you up with the right MPC for you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts