Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,681 Posts
It really hit me last night. Instead of playing in a big band to a convention center venue, I was home watching a 2008 recording of the San Francisco Ballet performing the Nutcracker.

Here’s to a better year!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,188 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, the NYE gigs were always a cash cow. I have mixed feelings though. Instead of being with family and friends, you were often with strangers having lots of fun. Don't get me wrong, I had some fun too. I played professionally for 45 years while holding down a full time job for 35 of those. Work all day Friday, rush home and pack up, drive to gig, set up, sound check, often a ****ty green room and ****ty bar food and sometimes ****ty club owners. Play your heart out in a smoke filled room, tear down, drive home (anyone else have this experience: Driving home on some highway, have absolutely NO idea what road your on or what direction you're going?) Driving in winter with the windows open trying to stay awake. Only fell asleep once behind the wheel 1 block from home. my passenger side mirror hitting a parked cars' driver side mirror. Woke up to the sound of glass exploding. I probably should have died or ended up in jail as I was always friendly with drink and drugs....................****, I DO miss it....

21 - 23 of 23 Posts