Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Van Al 4 and a Selmer C ** but I used the Larry teal back in college and it gave me a dark, round tone. Been 30 years since those days. Is anybody using them now? K

·
Registered
480 Posts
I tried the AL4, and still have it, but it was too bright and open for the sound I wanted. I liked the overall feel of it, and switched to an AL3 and I have no desire to try any other classical mouthpiece. It is exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I tried the AL4, and still have it, but it was too bright and open for the sound I wanted. I liked the overall feel of it, and switched to an AL3 and I have no desire to try any other classical mouthpiece. It is exactly what I wanted.
How did you get the focus and clarity of the AL4 with it? It took a while for me to control my AL4, but I find it more lush sounding than my AL3. What do you do to focus your sound on the AL3? It's a struggle for me because of how small that tip is.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't know for sure how describe it other than that the AL3 just works. It's the only piece I don't have to fight to get "my" sound out of it. Out of a Rousseau NC4, Selmer S80 C* and D, Selmer Soloist Style C*, Optimum AL3 and AL4, the AL3 was the only one worked with me. And incredibly, it seems like the more I work with it, the better it gets. This summer, when I'm not performing in some ensemble every other week, I might give the AL4 another chance.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the AL4 myself, as a legit piece. A little on the brighter side, which is probably why bmatney prefers the AL3, but it suit me on alto, as I tend to be a darkish player on everything. There's more than just tip opening between the two, but I'm sure you know that.

·
Registered
480 Posts
maddenma - you nailed it. I think it may be because I played nothing but tenor and bari till I got to college, but almost everything on alto is just bright and shrill to me. I want my sound to be as dark as possible.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was on a Larry Teal until I discovered the AL3. The weird weather up here makes reeds funky and I'd like to try an AL4 sometime thinking that a bigger tip opening might be more forgiving for junk reeds.

·
8,588 Posts
This isn't just a tip opening difference. The table is different and I suspect the chamber is as well.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm using the Selmer SD 20. For some reason this mouthpiece is not available here in the U.S. It's a copy of the original Soloist with a medium round chamber. It's only is made in one facing, similar to a C**. I'm playing it with Legere Signature or Studio or Forestone #3 reeds. I didn't like the Forestone reeds the first time I tried them but they are greatly improved and deserve a second trial.

·
8,588 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm using a Teal. Works well for what I do. Better than the pieces I've tried. You could say I'm settled on this particular tool. Don't feel a need to look any further.

Harv

1 - 14 of 14 Posts