Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to buy a baritone

I’ve played alto for about 4 years now and want to double on bari. I want to buy one in person, as buying online is a bit sketchy and I want to play test , but craigslist doesn’t have anything at all where I live,( Portland Or.). The only thing that I can find in my price range is a new Yamaha YBS 52 that’s getting sold for about 5000, this seems a bit steep to me. If anyone has any advice about where I should look for a decent saxophone or if the price for the sax is fair, it would really help.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Re: I’m looking to buy a baritone

Cannonball baritones are nice. Find out who the dealer is near you. Likely more than one around Portland. If they have one in stock you might grab it for $5000. Would be worth it to go to Seattle perhaps?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts

I'd take a YBS 52 hands down over a C'Ball, myself.

A brand new Jupiter 1000 costs around $4300 at WWBW, those are solid horns as well.

Sean...have you phoned up Wally's in OC ? or Beacock in Vancouver ?

Portland Music Co on Broadway ?

Trade Up ?

Seattle area not a bad suggestion. WorldwideSax.com or maybe Quinn the Eskimo might have something.

But, is your budget seriously $5000 ???? The thing is, rarely is a new horn worth the new pricetag when you consider that one a few years old will already have depereciated significantly in value. So asking if a new horn is worth the price...meh...that can get to be a sticky question...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts

Go with the 52 if you can afford it, as they're one of the best Bari saxophones ever made. Other great alternatives include the Low A Armstrongs (Couf Superba II stencil) or Vito VSP (Yanagisawa 901 stencil). Both can be found for far less than the 52, and that's factoring in a full overhaul. If you can do without a low A, you can find a slew of great vintage saxophones for very little money.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts

Personal preferences aside, JayePDX, The user said he wants to buy in person. Don’t see many baritones used or new in music shops or on Craigslist. Yes, You’ll all point out an exception that you might know about, but general terms are called such for a reason. In general, most music stores don’t stock baritones, but when I do see a decent bari in a shop it’s usually a Cannonball and it’s usually been there a little while. Posting on SOTW kind of sucks now. So many over posters and contrarians that there are many of us who feel we have to qualify our information lest it be panned by the career posters.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts

Personal preferences aside, JayePDX, The user said he wants to buy in person. Don’t see many baritones used or new in music shops or on Craigslist. Yes, You’ll all point out an exception that you might know about, but general terms are called such for a reason. In general, most music stores don’t stock baritones, but when I do see a decent bari in a shop it’s usually a Cannonball and it’s usually been there a little while. Posting on SOTW kind of sucks now. So many over posters and contrarians that there are many of us who feel we have to qualify our information lest it be panned by the career posters.
I certainly agree that being able to play the horn is key. I have bought - let's see - around 17 woodwind instruments; and I only ever bought two remotely - one of which was from a store with a very flexible trial and return policy, and the other from an internet vendor with a superior reputation.

Baritones are not common in the used market. You may have to budget for a road trip to try some out.

·
Registered
681 Posts

I certainly agree that being able to play the horn is key. I have bought - let's see - around 17 woodwind instruments; and I only ever bought two remotely - one of which was from a store with a very flexible trial and return policy, and the other from an internet vendor with a superior reputation.

Baritones are not common in the used market. You may have to budget for a road trip to try some out.
Funny, I've done the opposite. I've bought maybe 20 woodwind instruments, and have only bought two in store. With the two I bought in store, only one did I actually play before I bought it, the first being the first Alto I owned before I really knew how to play.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I have a nice VSP Vito Yanagisawa here in Hood River if you are interested.

·
Registered
681 Posts

These are some good horns, the OP would be hard pressed to find anything better in that price range.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I have no idea how much my sax is worth, the lacquer looks very nice, there is no dents and the pads look good.

·
4,901 Posts

+1 to all keilwerth made baritones. Best in the world.
Their keywork is a bit cumbersome, and I wish that the stencils had an adjustable thumb hook, but the quirks are worth the gutzy tone that they create.

·
17,981 Posts

?????...aren't you being a bit oversensitive ???

If someone had $4-5g, they'd do much better than spending it on a C'ball....sorry if for some reason that offends you. There may be a reason why when you see one in a shop 'it's usually been there awhile'....

Guy is looking for suggestions for a Baritone, and he has the funds.....the funds to get something really, really GOOD.

With that sorta wallet, there are much better horns out there, that's about all I was communicating. The likelihood of finding a Yama or a Jupe in a walk-in store is just as good as finding a C'ball, if not better....

Apologies if this over-poster contrarian (who has repaired and refurbed well over 750 saxes) has ruffled your feathers.
(Is the Forum really that hellish ????)

·
17,981 Posts

Their keywork is a bit cumbersome, and I wish that the stencils had an adjustable thumb hook, but the quirks are worth the gutzy tone that they create.
It depends on which we are talking about. When you get to the Superbas and beyond (aka more recent), those started to get really dialed in nicely, IMHO. At a $4000 price point, a Superba I is easily in the cards.

Dunno if a used SX90 ever goes that cheap though....perhaps (?)

·
17,981 Posts

These are some good horns, the OP would be hard pressed to find anything better in that price range.
BOOM.

CRAZY GOOD.

I can vouch for Sax in Box, he's a good guy. You should really go check that one out, Hood River isn't very far. Haven't seen it myself, but I have been at Sax in Box's place a number of times. Plenty of good techs in PDX if it needs some adjusting.

·
4,901 Posts

It depends on which we are talking about. When you get to the Superbas and beyond (aka more recent), those started to get really dialed in nicely, IMHO. At a $4000 price point, a Superba I is easily in the cards.

Dunno if a used SX90 ever goes that cheap though....perhaps (?)
I rent an Armstrong (Superba II) stencil from a friend of mine whenever I'm in need of a low A bari. He has 6 baritones of various vintages including a lovely Mark VI. The others being 2 Conns (both 12M's and one of those being his primary), a Buescher True Tone, and a Martin (really can't recollect which model right now).

The Armstrong most certainly is a professional model, and it's quick enough to play. There are a few rods that aren't as snug as they ought to be, and that looks like it was an issue from the factory. Granted, this was a stencil, so I wondered if the factory worker was perhaps not quite as careful as he should've been. My question was answered the next time I went to the local shop, and saw a Couf Superba I baritone hanging on the wall being sold for just under $3,500. I talked to the tech who had set that horn up, and he stated that he had spent some time correcting similar issues with the keywork. Matt Stohrer had mentioned something similar in one of his Couf or Keilwerth repair overview videos as well, so I assumed that keywork accuracy was a somewhat common issue. Though to be fair, I've never played a Couf or Keilwerth that I didn't like. I genuinely feel that the tone of their baritones are just exceptional, with a consistent "raspy" feature found in their upper ends. And yes, you're correct. I've never seen any SX90 go for the low prices that I see the Couf's going for. The Armstrong Superba's seem to sell for about $1,500 which make them the cheapest modern low A from a major factory that I've ever seen.

In my opinion, the Mark VI, Yamaha, and Yanagisawa baritones just feel more solid, and more ergonomic under the fingers. While I'm of the mind that one can overcome most ergonomics deficiencies with enough time on a given horn the baritone's larger size, and longer rods do make manufacturing issues in the keywork much more apparent. This is why I highly recommend the Vito VSP. You can find them relatively cheap in the used market, and the solid feel of the keywork comes through, even if the sax is in a considerable amount of disrepair.

Regarding Cannonball, I have a student who was just given one of their new baritones from his middle school. I can't recall the name of the model, but one of the two necks is silver with a "resonance" stone. The entire sax is black nickel, and though the finish certainly doesn't quite look as nice as Keilwerth's version of black nickel, it's a solid looking horn. I can't tear into this sax, for obvious reasons, but the keywork does feel pretty solid. The only real complaint I have is the fact that they seem to be using those same cheap felt bumpers that are popping up on the recent Yamaha student saxes. Meaning that I expect the said bumpers to fray and/or compress very quickly, requiring replacement in about a year. Otherwise, it seems to be a nice bari. I wouldn't quite put it in the same league as a Big Four horn, but they're capable tools for the price.

·
Registered
964 Posts

The 30s keilwerths have similar keywork to a conn... The newer ones are pretty modern compared to other vintage saxophones IMHO.
But I own and have played many vintage saxophones so I'm more used to vintage keywork than new at this moment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts