Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,388 Posts
As a longtime (hobby) baritone and tenor doubler, I can confirm it is less obvious on the big horn. Maybe not more difficult "per se", but related to the lower range, the lesser projection of the baritone, the fact that one usually avoids too big open mouthpieces, it comes less naturally. If you spend time to chose an appropriate mp/reed combo, and work on it, it is absolutely doable and very nice. Serge Chaloff comes to one's mind, but if you listen carefully to someone like Nick Brignola, you'll realize his articulation often includes nice "clouds" of subtone. Clearly my favorite big horn player when it comes to tone shaping and articulation.

·
3,388 Posts
Nice video. I also really do like subtone on baritone. You don't hear many players using it. Serge Chaloff was one of the few baritone players who did.

For some reason it is much more difficult than subtone on the smaller saxes but I found it easier when I started using a bigger tip opening mouthpiece... also easier on the low Bb baritone than a low A.

These two videos are on a Conn Chu 220xxx with a 9* No USA Otto Link.

This one is on a 1980's low A Yanigisawa with 7* Link.

Beautiful playing LiAm, this is really inspiring, thanks for sharing. :cool:

·
3,388 Posts
I have always loved the lushness and the velvety quality of subtone, since I have been a big fan of Ben Webster, Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins since the day I started playing. However many players do not use subtone on baritone. but it sounds amazing on it, due to the low register. In this vlog I shared some studies that I like to do very slowly, as a meditation, hence the title zen.
Despite the video cover shows a tenor horn I played baritone in the video, my trusty '45 Conn12M.
Hope you enjoy the video, enable english subs in the menu if you need.

View:

Soooo nice ! I can only congratulate you for the nice playing, and join your opinion about subtoning on the big horn.
E sempre un piacere di guardare ii tuoi video.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts