Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved the lushness and the velvety quality of subtone, since I have been a big fan of Ben Webster, Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins since the day I started playing. However many players do not use subtone on baritone. but it sounds amazing on it, due to the low register. In this vlog I shared some studies that I like to do very slowly, as a meditation, hence the title zen.
Despite the video cover shows a tenor horn I played baritone in the video, my trusty '45 Conn12M.
Hope you enjoy the video, enable english subs in the menu if you need.

View:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a very informative video. Unfortunately I rarely find myself in a playing situation that allows for subtoning on bari. I don't typically practice altissimo on bari for the same reason.
Thank you @KeithL I am mainly a baritone player and I play in different contexts, from R&B to big band, jazz quartet, duo with piano or guitar,ecc. If I play a ballad in a jazz club I use subtone a lot. It depends on the situazione, As you pointed. Regarding altissimo I found it fascinating on baritone, because it is a rounder sound than alto.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everybody for watching and for your replies.
@LiAm84 Whoo, great playing and feeling. I am a big fan of Chaloff, and I guess we share a similar tone concept. You did not hijack anything, we are hear to listen and to share opinions and videos. Thanks for adding your links. I liked the Conn more, but you sounded beautiful on both Conn and Yanagisawa.
@dexdex Thanks for your words. Brignola was an amazing player with stunning techinque, with a Breckerish approach to baritone. However I prefer a darker and cavernous tone like Mulligan and Chaloff, but of course this does not mean that Brignola was a fantastic player. We all have a different sound in our minds...
@B Flat maybe this is personal but I always preferred low baffled mouthpieces over high baffled ones. High baffle adds power with a less fatiguing air support, but to me at expenses of body. Of course there are players like Ronnie Cuber who used baffled mouthpieces with great results, but I lean towards a Chaloff/Mulligan kind of tone more. I reached the best results with an Otto link vintage slant tone edge '115 and a Vandoren blue 3 reed. I have never tried a Gottsu, they are supposed to be very Otto Link inspired, right?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@SaxJ thanks, I am happy that you enjoyed the video. I don't know what happening with the subtitles. Maybe you enabled the Italian subs (the original language). If you scroll the menu you can find also english subtiles, let me know..

@mascio Thanks for the link. I must confessa that I didn't know Bon Gordon. Let's a great player, with great tone, and a true swinger. I want to dig bis music more!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts