Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently playing an RPC rubber on a Kessler tenor, but I miss the responsiveness of my alto Meyer 6M small-chamber. I'm challenged to supply the air that the RPC tenor seems to want. And, the sound is overly-dark. Does anyone have experience with a Meyer 6M or 7M rubber tenor mouthpiece with small chamber? I'm not a fan of the high baffle (had a Jumbo Java that hurt my ears!), but the small chamber seems to suit me, in alto, at least. I'm hesitant to order the small-chamber Meyer tenor because there's no return on a special order, so I'm hoping for some knowledgeable input and advice. Thanks.

·
Banned
593 Posts
sorry i dont know. ive been thinking about the whole mpc thing though. a million variations it would seem. I think i decided that small variations on what i already like the sound of is best. Ive seen many people make wholesale changes to other things in my life that im skeptical. You could also spend a small fortune trying all the stuff available

·
Registered
248 Posts
hi there,
I'd first like to say that the Alto Small Chamber Meyer is my favorite alto mouthpiece in the world, but that's not true for tenor. To me, alto and tenor are very different animals, and so using an identical mouthpiece on them could be a mistake. the same is true for wanting them to sound the same. that being said, it could work well for you, but you won't know until you try! in the meantime, try some of the other Vandoren pieces like the (normal) java, and the V16.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm with Super Action Man. I play a Meyer 7S Small-chamber on alto, and find the Vandoren Java to be a good complimentary tenor piece.

·
Registered
610 Posts
people are currently raving about the new Tenor Madness Otto Link Early Babbitt HR remakes - seem to be very reasonable price as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts