Sax on the Web Forum banner

I love my Cannonball Raven Tenor(A small appreciation story)

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mudrock1000 
#1 ·
I just wanted to share this with everyone on how much I love this horn of mine. I have to be honest...she's been through hell and is pretty badly damaged (I hope one day to redo the finish and scribe her name (Natascha) in it.) But enough of that.
It was the first horn I ever truly owned and has served me quite well in everything I do. All the auditions I've made (and the 100x ones I bombed.) I remember going up and trying out the P.Mauriats, and I liked them at the time a lot lot better then my Cannonball...the tone was nice and sound and at the time I didn't have too much of a concept. But that extra 600 or so I just couldn't afford so I went and looked elsewhere and came across my now very usual shop of business Graner music. I tried out a few horns, but one of them caught my eye and it was this black one on display and I remember I looked bluntly at my father and said I want to try THAT one. And everything about it was simply amazing. The key space, the finish, the scribes. It was wonderful. And I took it home that day. It's been probably 4 or 5 years since then I was looking back at how happy I am with my decision. See the other day, my horn was having some problems and I had an audition, so I had to use my friends P.Mauriat. Did it sound good? Of course, but I realize how much more I like the sound of my horn then that one. I'm ashamed of having to put her through marching band like this, but currently I have no other option and that's why I am having problems with it. :cry:
However, I could not at all be happier with my decision for this horn and I look back and have no regrets. My tone is fat and dark, yet it is also easily possible to achieve a nice and light tone on it. It just works exactly the way I feel any good jazz horn SHOULD work. I've tried Selmers, P.mauriats and all these other horns...but for me Cannonball makes one hell of a good horn. And now, as I finally begin to take new and more advanced musical challenges like expanding my improv, I just wanted to share with EVERYONE how much this horn has changed my life and how much I recommend everyone tries one in their life. As it stands I have no intention for letting Natascha leaving me any time soon, and as I begin to finish High school up and take new chances and refine my style as a musician, I'm truly glad I chose this horn.

See less See more
#4 ·
:( Yea gotta hate it. Currently no other option...however I guess it gives me a good excuse to get everything in it replaced which it desperately needs after such a good long time. (I spit like a fire hydrant) Luckily the show is next week. So I'm not too worried. I think it'll be fine as long as I don't over play it.

I also agree MADLOU. When I get the money for a new horn, I'll probably buy cannonball. I simply love the tone I get out of it and the finish is fantastic.

#3 ·
I share your sentiments and enthusiasm for the Raven. Three years ago, after a 37 year hiatus, I decided to purchase a tenor and start playing again. I knew nothing about available saxes at that point but I knew what type of sound I wanted to achieve. I went to a Sam Ash store in New Jersey and tried almost every tenor they had, which was many, including top of the line Selmers, Yamahas and Mauriats. I instantly fell in love with the Cannonballs. I could not afford a Raven at that time so I ended up purchasing a Cannonball student model called the Alcazar which in my opinion was better than all the other brand saxes I tried in terms of sound. I kept that horn until last January when I was able to get my dream horn, a brand new Raven. A couple weeks later, I purchased a used Cannonball Global Stone Series Soprano and 03 Excaliber Alto. Those two horns are also excellent in my opinion and have served me exceedingly well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.