Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just practicing at home does you wear ear protection ? I play the tenor and the alto and have been trying to play softly which gives me more control . So what do you guys think?

Doug

·
Registered
606 Posts
No, I don't. I have moderate to severe tinnitus in my left ear, and was worried that playing would make it worse. I just play my horns here at the house for my own enjoyment. I have done LOTS of research, and the consensus is the sound of one horn won't damage your hearing. I wouldn't play it in a very small. closed room though.

·
Banned
66 Posts
I hear for a living, but I don't bother to wear plugs while practicing. I am sensitive to the levels I am exposed to, and I haven't felt the need to worry when practicing alone. I think plugs would actually be detrimental to practicing, as you wouldn't be able to hear some of the overtones from the horn itself. What you could hear would be overwhelmed by what you are 'hearing' via bone conduction.

In all circumstances not being able to hear yourself well leads to overblowing and other things that are bad for you and your tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
I like to practice at all sound levels. Practicing only softly does not let me bring out all aspects of my mouthpiece and horn. I can't imagine my horn being loud enough to hurt me unless I was in some kind of echo chamber and I don't have one of those at home.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kool then I will continue I do have a DB meter and I get readings of 98 -105 with playing my tenor and the same with the Alto

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
That's loud! How close is the meter?

If your set-up is such that you have to blow really hard, you could maybe try different set-up that is easier to blow. I use a 7 Link on tenor (6* on Alto) with 2.5 reeds which can play very quietly if needed.

I've tried some ear protection recently as our percussion section is getting rather noisy. The trouble with it is it makes the sax sound weird.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I use earplugs when I practice with my Susato high D Irish whistle. The second register can hurt! :) As far as the sax goes, I avoid practicing with certain of my louder mouthpieces, such as my Ponzol M2 stainless tenor piece which can be just too loud for my practice space, but perfect on gigs. I can control the volume, but I can't play as loud as I want in doors. I like to hear myself play in order to get all the pretty sounds a sax can make, so I practice with ones I can fully express myself with- but with no earplugs. Muffling the sound with earplugs would remove the pleasure I get from listening to the sax as I practice and play.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It would be a great idea to wear the plugs for practicing when you reach 98-105 dB close to your head - as opposed to 1m away as usually done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts