Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I need some help in my mission to get a soprano sax. I know the thread below is the same problem, but I only have half as much money as that guy. I don't know if it can be done, but I'd like to get a soprano for around $1000. I read somewhere that Antigua's are good, but after seeing a video I disagree (still open to change that opinion). I want a pro model so that it can last me forever, but that seems ambitious for this price range... Maybe I can go $1500, but I'm at my parents mercy (I'm an unemployed 16 year old). I have absolutely no problem with well loved horns. I fell like this is my best bet right now, but nothing's set in stone: https://www.ebay.com/i/232363713709?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Thanks

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Those Yamaha's are good, not a pro model, but still good. Personally I like the Cannonballs:
http://www.saxalley.com/cannonball-curved-soprano.html
If you follow eBay for a few weeks you could find one priced less than that, but it's still the same price as that Yamaha and comes with a free setup.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I assume straight soprano? You may find a deal on on a Yanagisawa stencil for $1300 (Vito, Martin, etc.) You can also go for a brand new, Kessler Handmade Soprano, for about that.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Hello everyone,
I need some help in my mission to get a soprano sax. I know the thread below is the same problem, but I only have half as much money as that guy. I don't know if it can be done, but I'd like to get a soprano for around $1000. I read somewhere that Antigua's are good, but after seeing a video I disagree
How can you possibly tell a saxophone brand is not good by watching a video ???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
My advice to the O.P.:
1) I made a mistake in 1993 when I bought my first soprano sax, in that I spent a few hundred dollars less than what the "right" sax would have cost me. I could have gotten a Yamaha (might have been gently used) at one of the stores in NYC for about $1700. Instead I bought a lesser horn for about $1300, and later had to spend additional money to upgrade to a different soprano sax. I got very little for the lesser horn when I sold it, and had to deal with its inferior intonation until then. Intonation on the soprano sax is challenging enough without having your horn make it even harder.

2) Don't buy a sax randomly off of ebay; it is likely to need some work, even if it just pad work and adjustments, to get it to play truly properly. This is true, even if the seller can ebay-truthfully claim "it plays fine". You would be better off buying a used horn from a respected seller here on SOTW. I would put more faith in a statement by a long-term member here that a particular horn was recently overhauled, especially if they tell you who performed the overhaul, than in any claim by an ebay seller that a horn "plays fine" or any similarly worded phrase.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Personally, if I was going to buy a soprano in the $1000-$1500 range, I would look for a used Yamaha 475.

I had a Taiwanese-made "tick-logo" Sakkusu soprano that cost me under $300 in the UK (used). Surprisingly good for the price, but in a fit of GAS I decided to upgrade it. I tried some horns in the $1000-$2000 price range (new), but didn't find any that I thought were much better than mine. It seemed to me that if I wanted a significantly better horn than my $300 one, I would have to pay over $2000, even for used. But an exception to this rule was the Yamaha 475. (I did not look at vintage sopranos - they seemed too risky for my taste.)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Well you may want to become an "employed" 16 year old and save a few bucks so you can buy whatever you want. Nice $1000 - $1500 sopranos come up here in the SOTW Marketplace all the time but if you had another $1000 of your own money to add to what your parents are willing to give you then you have lots of possibilities. Having some of your own "skin in the game" will also make you a lot more value conscious when making big purchases.

·
Registered
420 Posts
According to the sax.co.uk website, Sakkusu saxophones (their house brand) are made in mainland China rather than Taiwan.
The early Sakkusu saxophones were made in Taiwan. These can be recognised by the "Tick" logo on the bell, the black key pearls and the case. Then the factory put up its prices and sax.co.uk switched to a mainland Chinese manufacturer. So the ones they sell today are made in China.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Personally, if I was going to buy a soprano in the $1000-$1500 range, I would look for a used Yamaha 475.

I had a Taiwanese-made "tick-logo" Sakkusu soprano that cost me under $300 in the UK (used). Surprisingly good for the price, but in a fit of GAS I decided to upgrade it. I tried some horns in the $1000-$2000 price range (new), but didn't find any that I thought were much better than mine. It seemed to me that if I wanted a significantly better horn than my $300 one, I would have to pay over $2000, even for used. But an exception to this rule was the Yamaha 475. (I did not look at vintage sopranos - they seemed too risky for my taste.)
Check this one out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YSS-...818456&hash=item2f0661b57b:g:RewAAOSwMvtZVBPs

·
Registered
Soprano: 1983 Keilwerth Toneking Schenklaars stencil
906 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts