Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a sweet playing The Martin alto with about > 85% lacquer and rolled tone holes. Anyone help me out with what the thing is worth?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Martins don't have rolled toneholes.
It's probably soldered on beveled toneholes.
Great horns with a big ballsy sound.
Real players.

$1400-$2000 if it's in full playing condition

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbone said:
Martins don't have rolled toneholes.
It's probably soldered on beveled toneholes.
Great horns with a big ballsy sound.
Real players.

$1400-$2000 if it's in full playing condition
Yes, I meant soldered on, not RTH. I just got to blow it for a minute. Hopefully I can play it a little more this Saturday.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
garyinla said:
They go on ebay for 500-1500. $1400-2000 in my opinion would be more of a retail dealer price.
Yes, that's a retail estimate. That's the only fair measure to use. An ebay estimate would read more like $5 to $3500! Sometimes you can get a whole lot more than something is worth on ebay.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's not worth much. But I'd be willing to take if off your hands for say, $25, just as a favor. ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Mine from '45 with a recent overhaul from junkdude was $1500.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Doing the Math

My Martin Home Model C-melody was purchased for $150. A complete repad cost $250, so the total for this 1936 Martin is $400. But, considering this instrument is only 80% of a real saxophone, I would calculate the price of a REAL Martin to be $500.

The 3.75 lb. two octave Home model is a stripped down oddity. It is like 'saxophone lite' - "80% of the notes with all of the (vintage) sound".

For more info on ALL Things Martin see: http://www.themartinstory.net/

MM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts