Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed some light on this "the martin". Serial number 44434, but might be 144434. It just says martin low pitch, and on the bell THE MARTIN reg us pat off ELKHART Indiana. Friend knew I was looking for a sax for my son, sent me some pictures.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Can anyone shed some light on this "the martin". Serial number 44434, but might be 144434. It just says martin low pitch, and on the bell THE MARTIN reg us pat off ELKHART Indiana. Friend knew I was looking for a sax for my son, sent me some pictures.
This is an older one for sure (mid-20s), I'd probably pass if it's for a kid honestly.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
The photos are of an early split bell Martin Handcraft, not the "The Martin" Committee III most famously known as "The Martin" and first built in the 40's.

You should assume that horn needs a full overhaul and check the costs of one before buying. Getting a good Yamaha student model in known playing condition might be a much better option.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The photos are of an early split bell Martin Handcraft, not the "The Martin" Committee III most famously known as "The Martin" and first built in the 40's.

You should assume that horn needs a full overhaul and check the costs of one before buying. Getting a good Yamaha student model in known playing condition might be a much better option.
Agree with everything said here.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
No front F key, I'd pass for a student. Also many band directors are still indoctrinated with "old horns play out of tune" etc.

It's been refinished, note the color difference of the body and keys.

If I needed a tenor and I could get this for $100, I'd consider throwing a set of pads in it and rigging up a front F key and playing it, but I am not a beginner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, you guys know your stuff. Its $350 Canadian, and all I know is that its "playable".
If it's been re lacquered would that not mean it would of received a full overhaul?
Its a second sax for my son, he plays the alto, was thinking it might be fun to have a tenor too.
Thanks again for all the info.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
You need to have someone play the horn.

It is worth more than 350 Canadian. However not to a beginner and not to someone who doesnt want to sink in money for an overhaul.

A relaq could have been done many years ago and the pads dead now. Again, someone with some knowledge needs to play this horn before its considered.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
"Playable" can mean many things. Lots of sounds and even some music can come out of a horn that is not playing in any truly functional manner. The cost of getting one that makes musical sounds to truly make music might be far more than the cost of the horn. This is definitely the type you need a return policy with and quickly run it over to a tech who knows his stuff.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
"Playable" can mean many things. Lots of sounds and even some music can come out of a horn that is not playing in any truly functional manner. The cost of getting one that makes musical sounds to truly make music might be far more than the cost of the horn. This is definitely the type you need a return policy with and quickly run it over to a tech who knows his stuff.
From the photos it looks like it's in a pawn shop.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
Am I the only one here who thinks this looks a lot like an Alto ????

Wow, you guys know your stuff. Its $350 Canadian, and all I know is that its "playable".
If it's been re lacquered would that not mean it would of received a full overhaul?
Its a second sax for my son, he plays the alto, was thinking it might be fun to have a tenor too.
Thanks again for all the info.
Is your budget $350CAN for a playable Tenor ? That is a dicey budget. $500CAN, then you are in at least a more realistic range (although still quite low).

(If you can afford $600CAN (ship included), feel free contact me, as I have refurbished Tenors available in that range)

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Am I the only one here who thinks this looks a lot like an Alto ????

Is your budget $350CAN for a playable Tenor ? That is a dicey budget. $500CAN, then you are in a more realistic range (although still quite low).
My first thought was alto too. Its only the fact that they seem to have an alto already that made me not question it. And yes that is a pawn shop I'm sure. Having worked in some I know that they rarely know or care about playing condition.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know if it's a tenor or alto really, I was actually looking for a step up from my sons Jupiter alto student model. When I was told tenor, I thought that might be cool.
The more I read about different saxes, the more interesting they all are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
It is an Alto. The worst part is that these series two horns don't have the high C# adjuster making intonation up high really difficult. I would pass. I sell the later series three altos for about $750 in great shape. For a kid, I would go with a Committee one or two for around $1,000.

·
17,981 Posts
I dont know if it's a tenor or alto really, I was actually looking for a step up from my sons Jupiter alto student model. When I was told tenor, I thought that might be cool.
The more I read about different saxes, the more interesting they all are.
OK, but in order for folks to give useful replies, it'd help if you could give us the parameters.

You initially said you were looking for a Tenor.

Then you said you were looking for an alto to replace your son's Jupiter ...which is a pretty good horn, actually.

So, we have determined:

1) This pawn shop find by your friend is an Alto

2) It likely will need work, because very RARELY will a pawn shop EVER actually have their instruments looked over by a repair person

3) It is a bit of an anachronistic Martin, lacking some keys and as Bruce says, intonationally a bit of a challenge.

4) This would not be a good choice....if you are seeking an Alto to replace the Jupiter.

·
17,981 Posts
So....

1) you may wanna look into whether you really want to buy your son a vintage horn vs. a modern one. Many threads about that subject here, although sadly they sometimes become less informative than they should as the discussions can get passionate.

Next ...

2) decide what your budget is. Really, $350CAN will buy you nothing but trouble in either a used or new Alto. You really need a more realistic price point. For a used Alto, in respectable playing condition, probaby $450CAN is about bottom of budget...although I would argue that for THAT...you probably would NOT end up with anything better or 'step up' from the current Jupiter. (No, a YAS 21 or 23 is NOT likely to be a step up to a Jupe).

If you wanted to do that, really move a few rungs up the ladder, then you'd probably be looking at like $600-700CAN for used.

3) If you instead decide you want to get him a Tenor, that's fine. Again, for a decent Tenor in respectable playing shape you'd be looking at $500-550CAN, and that probably would get you something like a Bundy, Bundy II, Armstrong, or perhaps a Conn MX 16M or the like (solid, respectable horns for a young player, BTW). Something like a Yamaha-Vito 21 or 23 would probably run around $650+CAN, used with no issues....

So again, all of these things should be taken into account.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for your input.

I know this thread is coming near the end of its life, but I just wanted mention that i was originally looking for an alto, to step up from his student Jupiter. His sax teacher said to me that he would like to hear him playing a better horn. So that's why I'm looking. Asking, reading etc.
While checking out saxes at my local store, he was asked if he wanted to try out a tenor. A martin committee II, just been overhauled. He loved it.$1500 was too much for me to spend on a secondary sax.
The first post told me that the sax in the picture was a tenor, that's why I thought it would be cool.
I must agree that a vintage sax is not the right fit for.my son quite yet, I'm looking now at a P. Maurit le bravo. Maybe 3 or 4 years old.
The more I have read about saxes, is that if you get lucky, and know what your looking for, you can find a diamond in the rough.
Hope I cleared things up.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts