Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Keilwerth "aluminum" case my daughter's horn is in is ok, but there's room for jiggling around a bit. And, it's pretty heavy for her. Any idea if an alto sx90 fits the BAM Trekking case? Also, for future reference, how about tenor? I've searched the forums for this info, but couldn't find anything other than soprano w/ the BAM Trekking case.

Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is this a case for a student who is hauling a horn to school and back? Is this the kind of case you're talking about?

https://www.wwbw.com/Bam-Trekking-A...MMhH_jGsR2AZc-OM6waAp1NEALw_wcB#productDetail

If this is the case you're talking about, it's described as:

Interior: Fabric Covered Foam
Outer Shell: Cordura Nylon

I don't see how that would offer much protection for a horn, unless you've got a kid who's already really, really, really careful with her instrument at all times. One momentary lapse of sufficient caution, and you're looking at a trip to the repair shop.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Get the J. Winter flight case. I have one for my Keilwerth SX90R tenor and it fits this horn perfectly. It also fit's my King Super 20 tenor perfectly. It's very light and also very protective, I likes it a lot!:mrgreen:

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great suggestions. another one that apparently fits is the gator gl. looks like a hybrid between a case and gig bag. has anyone had experience with this?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
One of the things you have to watch when buying a case for the Keilwerth horns is that they don't fit in many cases since the bell is bigger than most other saxophones. The Protec XL line does fit. The Gator GL looks like it's more of a gigbag/soft case than the Protec which has a molded exterior. The Gator will probably fit the SX-90, but I prefer more structure than a soft bag for my sax cases.

·
Registered
396 Posts
OP - You indicated that this case is for your daughter. Does she travel with it (like on an airplane), or is it to take her instrument back and forth to school? If she is in school, please advise if it is middle schoo, high school, or college.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP - You indicated that this case is for your daughter. Does she travel with it (like on an airplane), or is it to take her instrument back and forth to school? If she is in school, please advise if it is middle schoo, high school, or college.
She's in 5th grade, but she's not new to taking care of an instrument--she's been playing violin (violins--man, at least they don't make fractional saxophones...) since age 4 and is in youth symphony. She does cart her horn to/from school on the bus.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get the J. Winter flight case. I have one for my Keilwerth SX90R tenor and it fits this horn perfectly. It also fit's my King Super 20 tenor perfectly. It's very light and also very protective, I likes it a lot!:mrgreen:
Is it the JW-2195 model? Do you know if the alto fits in the JW-2192? So much confusion with these...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have used a Gator case for alto & tenor for at least 6 years. I have also had two tenor Pro Tech cases, still have one. I dropped the alto taking it out of the back of my SUV once. Pretty good knock, sax was unharmed.....That's the only bad one I remember. I shipped a Conn Chu tenor in a Pro Tech case once. Case was almost new and a tight fit for the horn, so I didn't put any bubble wrap in the case, and the front F key was bent when it was delivered. Guy was not happy...…….His tech bent it back, for free, but he was definitely not happy. That said, I like the Pro Tech case, and a Gator or Pro tech xl would do fine......

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Is it the JW-2195 model? Do you know if the alto fits in the JW-2192? So much confusion with these...
Yes thiessen, it's the 2195 model...don't know if the alto would fit in the 2192 or not, I'm assuming that it will. You could order one from wwbw and if you don't like it, just send it back...I like that the case is light, Keilwerth's are heavy enough as it is, also there's not too many choices on cases for the Keilwerth, with it's big bell/bow....Good luck!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
OP, have you considered the JW-51392-NB case? It's lightweight and has backpack straps. IIRC, Julius Keilwerth sources their cases from Jakob Winter.

·
Registered
396 Posts
5th Grade. Good Grief. I don’t think I would ever consider any case for a 5th grader that wasn’t a hard case. (Plastic/metal) My son started bringing his trombone to school in 5th grade. He wasn’t the problem. It is the other kids in band who aren’t so careful. He needed protection from his friends accidentally standing on the case, dropping stuff on the case, etc.

At the same time, having a 5th grader haul a sax to school everyday isn’t exactly easy.....a bit like having a Tuba for a 12 year old. Just need some TLC and possibly some extra parental attention.

In my opinion I don’t think the slop in your current case is a problem. If you don’t like it, throw a small piece of foam rubber into the bottom of the case. I think the slop becomes a problem for a saxophone when you are traveling and you need to worry about people throwing the case into the cargo bay of the airplane.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up getting the Gator GL for a JK tenor I acquired. Leaving the kiddo's alto in the factory hard case for now. I might look into a JWinter case in the future. For the conscientious owner, i.e. no slinging and throwing around, the Gator GL is really nice, well constructed, super lightweight and carries over the shoulder really well. And it's cheap but looks really nice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
BAM definitely makes cases that fit Keilwerth. As we know the Keilwerth shape is just different enough from the Selmer that a Keilwerth won't it in a case designed for a Selmer. All of the BAM cases you'd find online or at music stores are based on the Selmer mould. However, you can have your music store special order a BAM case based on a Keilwerth mould. It isn't any more expensive but since it is a special order, it could take a few months.

Another option for you to consider.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I’m glad you got the tenor case and, if you still need one for alto, I currently have the contoured hard shell case that Jakob Winter makes for JK altos. I no longer have my JK Couf alto so I can let it go. PM me in case you’re interested.

I ended up getting the Gator GL for a JK tenor I acquired. Leaving the kiddo's alto in the factory hard case for now. I might look into a JWinter case in the future. For the conscientious owner, i.e. no slinging and throwing around, the Gator GL is really nice, well constructed, super lightweight and carries over the shoulder really well. And it's cheap but looks really nice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been using a Protec XL for a Superba 1 too.
The bell started out really tight! but now after 50 times in and out it is an easier fit.
Also, I have rubber palm key risers that seem to stick a bit when the horn goes in and out - I worry that the keys might get tugged sideways.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
That case is great, except it has a major flaw: only 2 latches! It should have 3. These are prone to opening if they catch something while you are carrying the case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts