Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the last jam session I played I was struggling to play lots of changes in Real Book Bop tunes which makes sense since my money and playing time is slanted from blues and soul work. I do straight ahead jazz stuff sometimes but mostly on flute.

Anyway I want to get better so I decided to daily run a jazz blues daily in all keys arpeggiating the chords to the 9 or ad ing an approach to the root of the chord. This at least will run me through many common progressions in tunes in all keys. Also I'm running a couple of II Vs chromatically. All this is stuff I did many years ago (on tenor) but I feel like for me to run changes and do what I want I need much more work now . As always , I do lots with just a metronome and then add the play- alongs much later. This reminds me of work I did some 25 years ago when I was all tenor and just doing jazz for fun/jam sessions. :alto is another animal for me. But thats what i'm doing these days K

·
Banned
652 Posts
At the last jam session I played I was struggling to play lots of changes in Real Book Bop tunes which makes sense since my money and playing time is slanted from blues and soul work. I do straight ahead jazz stuff sometimes but mostly on flute.

Anyway I want to get better so I decided to daily run a jazz blues daily in all keys arpeggiating the chords to the 9 or ad ing an approach to the root of the chord. This at least will run me through many common progressions in tunes in all keys. Also I'm running a couple of II Vs chromatically. All this is stuff I did many years ago (on tenor) but I feel like for me to run changes and do what I want I need much more work now . As always , I do lots with just a metronome and then add the play- alongs much later. This reminds me of work I did some 25 years ago when I was all tenor and just doing jazz for fun/jam sessions. :alto is another animal for me. But thats what i'm doing these days K
Take up busking. That's where there rubber meets the road. Get irealpro and play 2-4 hours a day on the street, integrating your patterns and licks, 12-key them. You might only make enough for a burger and a beer after. But over time you will become a monster player, IF you also keep running your scales/arps/pattersn/licks at night while you chill in front of the tube.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do 3 and sometimes 4 hours of convalescent hospital jobs a week. that helps alot. but busking is something I plan to hit this year K

·
Banned
652 Posts
Farmer's Markets often have regulated permit busking programs, or just informal rules for busking inside the market. It's often preferable to street busking for a lot of people. I do both, and tend to prefer busking without rules. But other people prefer the structure because it prevents some of the problems that can come with free street busking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts