Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This horn is the first one of many I've tried that could challenge my YAS 82 Z. Its a tight little horn with lots of overtones in the sound and fast action . I have owned Martin 880 yani horns before (Tenor and Soprano) but out of curiosity (and hearing my teacher play one) bought this alto. Once I get the leaks taken care of I'll do an AB video. For 1100 I'd stack this against any horn in that price range. K The 880 soprano I sold I sold becaue I wanted a curved horn to hear myself on stage better. Thats the only reason, it was a great soprano for pitch and tone. My 880 Martin tenor I remember having a bigger tone and better alt than my Mk 6 tenor but was a heavier horn around my neck so I sold it. Anyway I'm very happy. I'll be curious to see how this horn deveolps over time k

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
FYI, I have one of these Martin A880 stencil altos FS, freshly overhauled with roo pads. It plays in-between my Mk VI and Yani A992. But I tend to play one of the other two and don't really need a third that is in the middle. SF Bay area.

I have an S6 stencil (VITO on the bell) soprano which is just fantastic. Took me only a few weeks to get accustomed to its Mk VI soprano style palm keys.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
I’ve got matching A4 and T4s. Too bad I bought a re-lacquered Selmer tenor for my bar/road horn and the Yanagisawa sits in the closet.
They are great saxes for the money.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
To me it seems like the video comparison has little meaning because of the change of the neck on the 82z. I think necks are a huge part of the sound. I like the 82z best in the video.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
saxcop you are right. With the Yamaha neck it sounds darker and more classical which is useless in my situations. So the Keilwerth ST neck seems to give it the octane I need. But I agree its not apples to apples K

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Both sound great Keith. I tend to like the 82Z simply because it has a bit more depth but also a bigger sound. Either way the Martin/Yani is still a solid option especially given the price. BTW I'm still playing on my 82Z alto but use an older Barone neck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts