Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great buy. You will be happy
Thank you. I thought I was going to buy a 70's VI for $1500 from craigslist, but there were a few red flags The person didn't live locally, but it was listed locally; the same pic and ad text were used in posts in at least two other cities at other times (didn't notice this until I tried to send payment a few times); etc - we were going to use paypal as a protective measure, but it blocked the transaction. The more I thought about it, the more I felt uneasy about it. I had given Grassi's consideration a few times over the years, so that's where I went. Yeah, I would have loved to have that other sop, but I'm still looking forward to this one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,932 Posts
Their sopranos are excellent.

Yeah, well glad you didn't get hoodwinked. Really, the fact that there was a VI listed for $1500 should have been enough warning right there. Ya live, ya learn...

Enjoy the 2000....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their sopranos are excellent.

Yeah, well glad you didn't get hoodwinked. Really, the fact that there was a VI listed for $1500 should have been enough warning right there. Ya live, ya learn...

Enjoy the 2000....
Thanks!

It was listed for $2200, but they said they'd accept $1500 when asked.

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wow, that's a heck of a deal. I have a couple of vintage Grassi altos and they are solid, good sounding horns.

I never realized one could completely refurb a horn and still sell it for under $300.
My thoughts, exactly! I had a Grassi alto a while back and thought it was a really great horn for not a lot of money. Cool deal!!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the alto a few mins ago, and it was packed really, really well. I haven't had time to play it, yet, have some domestics to handle.

I have a question, though. The neck has an "M" where the "G" usually is (you know, where the S is on a selmer neck). Any idea what kind of neck this might be?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,932 Posts
I can tell you it's a Grrassi neck, because the tube specs match other Grassi necks I have had. Also, I think you'll find intonation is very good up and down. The neck key was puzzling, but Grassi did produce stencils so perhaps this one just went out with a stencil key ?

If for some reason you have any issues, feel free to contact me via email/PM.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can tell you it's a Grrassi neck, because the tube specs match other Grassi necks I have had. Also, I think you'll find intonation is very good up and down. The neck key was puzzling, but Grassi did produce stencils so perhaps this one just went out with a stencil key ?

If for some reason you have any issues, feel free to contact me via email/PM.
Cool, thank you for confirming.

I love the horn, so far, I'm just curious about it. You know how it is :)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm selling this soprano, as well as my Grassi alto. Both are great horns, just not my cup of tea. I'm actually going to be selling the soprano for less than I paid for it. It needs more work than the seller alluded to in his original posting, and the case it literally being held together with packing tape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts