Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've recently moved into the Ionia Michigan area and I'm looking for a alto sax teacher. I have 6 months on alto. I stumbled upon this site and saw that there was a member from Lake Odessa. I think they are called bandmommy. Do they teach? Any help finding a teacher in my area would be great!

· Registered
265 Posts
*braces for bandmommy's post whirlwind*

*gets out the popcorn*

· Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know how I can reach this bandmommy person? Do they live in Lake Odessa MICHIGAN, or somewhere else? I thought this was the place to go to find a teacher.

· Registered
773 Posts
I'm sure BandMommy will chime in soon. I believe she teaches, and would be in your area. (a bit closer than me, too).

I'm a music major at Grand Valley State University, near Grand Rapids, and also give lessons. Feel free to PM me for rates and more information if you're interested. (Click on my name at the left, and then hit "send private message")

Thanks!

· Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
20,262 Posts
Hi, Sorry to take so long to find this.
So lilred, you're looking for a sax teacher. I do teach at the Middle/High school level. But since you've got 6 months in I guess you would fit into that 'ability range'. You mentioned that you live in the "Ionia area". Exactly where? I'm about 13 miles South of Ionia off from M-66.
My basic rates are $12 for 30 minutes or $20 per hour at my home. $15/25 if I come to you depending on travel time.
Think about it.

· Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Bandmommy,
I am North of Belding, closer to Greenville. However, you charge more than I want to spend for lessons. My last teacher charged half that.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
15,770 Posts
Prices vary from region to region. I think bandmommy is low, but I've never heard her or any of her students.

· Registered
468 Posts
lilred said:
However, you charge more than I want to spend for lessons. My last teacher charged half that.
I think 20$/hour is really cheap for a lesson.
Most teachers I've met charge 20$ for half hour lessons.

If you really want to be serious about Saxophone, you might wanna make the hour long drive to East Lansing to take lessons with Joe Lulloff. But he probably charges around 4 times your old teacher (it's worth it though).

20,262 Posts
Sorry to hear that I'm too expensive. If you want, call Greenville or Belding schools and ask the band directors where they send their kids. I'm betting they got to one of 3 places: Meyer or Marshall Music in Grand Rapids at $25 a lesson. Or Hansons Music House in Greenville. I don't know if they have a sax teacher. If they do I will take a guess that they charge about the same. The only teacher you'll find cheaper around here is a high school student with less experience.

· Registered
773 Posts
Yeah, Bandmommy is very well priced. I'm a college student, albeit at least a music major, and I charge $15 for half an hour (sometimes less in specific situations where a student absolutely cannot afford lessons, but then I'll often work in other trades too). As someone with what I assume to be a lot of experience, I would have expected Bandmommy to charge more!

I pay $30 for a half hour lesson, or $50 for an hour lesson. I take lessons from a well respected professor of music, and I consider them cheap for the amount my playing improves with each lesson!

· Registered
265 Posts
I agree, I've not found anything cheaper than $50 per hour, or $25 per hour + however much my school charges per credit hour (which I don't know off the top of my head, as I'm an undergraduate), if I were to go through Drexel University for private lessons.

· Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been given the names of a few other teachers in my area. I'm going to check out their prices and get back with you. Meyer and marshall are the big ones around here. You were right on with the cost of a lesson. $25 for 1/2 hour.

20,262 Posts
Must be lilred found a cheaper teacher.

· Super Moderator
27,071 Posts
I would teach him for $5 an hour, but he'd have to provide his own transportation:D:D:D:D:D;););););)

· Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,398 Posts
lilred said:
Hello Bandmommy,
I am North of Belding, closer to Greenville. However, you charge more than I want to spend for lessons. My last teacher charged half that.
Flippin heck! So I make that $6 for half an hour. That would be £3 in the uk! Isn't that about the same price as a can of coke these days? lilred, you drive a hard bargain!! :D :D

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,310 Posts
How do you value a teacher you are only willing to pay $12 an hour? How do you value your own playing if you are only willing to pay $12 an hour for your instruction.

20,262 Posts
Thanks for the support guys. I'm surprised.

I don't know of any other teachers around here that charge less than I do. The economy in my area has been so bad in the past couple of years that I've actually LOWERED my rates.

Greenville is about a 45 minute drive from my house. I think $15 for 30 minutes is pretty reasonable. I've got good references too. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.