Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling my Selmer to a another SOTW member (who's been great to deal with, btw), I bought, from a friend of mine in DFW, a B&S-made Guardala alto. I was blown away when I tried it out, and it was a no-brainer for me to buy it; it's more my style than the Selmer (which is also a great horn), and such an incredibly solid, well-made, great-sounding instrument. For all the B&S fans on this forum, thanks for the info you've given me over the years! I'm fully in your camp now. I love my 82z tenor and have no intention to get rid of it, but someday, if I need a backup, a B&S will be high on the search list.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
The B&S horns are fantastic...
I am surprised they stay so far under the radar.
my Black Nickel 2001 tenor plays just as well as any horn I have ever owned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
Welcome to the fan club. They are great horns as you say.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Welcome to the dark side:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Count me in!!! I should receive mine friday( 2001 Ernie Northway Tenor).I bought it from one of our SOTW members.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a B&S Blue Label Alto for sale if anyone is interested.

It's close to flawless, gold lacquered body and nickel keywork.
I bought it from Germany a couple of years ago just because I love my
Blue Label tenor.
Since I usually play Mark VI and Buescher TT altos, this one has been retired.

If you know anyone in the market for B&S Blue Label alto, please let me know.
I don't need to sell it, hence haven't bothered to put it on eBay or anything.

Can send pictures.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
Count me in!!! I should receive mine friday( 2001 Ernie Northway Tenor).I bought it from one of our SOTW members.
Congratulations! That one looked to be a very good deal. I'd have bought it myself if I didn't already have a 2001 tenor.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Congratulations! That one looked to be a very good deal. I'd have bought it myself if I didn't already have a 2001 tenor.
I hope it turns out to be a good one...I'm happy with the price ..I'm confident I'll be happy with the way it plays..

I've bounced between Keilwerth SX90r's and Yamaha Customs for a while...maybe the 2001 will be in the middle

·
Registered
398 Posts
Couple of things I've noticed so far and none are problems..My Northway has no engraving or brand ID on the neck.The engraving on the bell is very light.

The lower stack has adjustment screws. D,E,F,F#.... No adj. screws on the upper stack.It has the helper spring on low c#. Also the anti- stick Ab mechanism. The sound.. in my opinion.. is closer to my Keilwerths...All ribbed construction...Octave key is nicely rounded and very comfortable...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
My Northway has no engraving or brand ID on the neck. The engraving on the bell is very light.
That is not unusual. The Guardala, Chicago Jazz, Medusa and model 2001 had a name or logo on the neck. I don't believe the other B&S stencils did. You can write inside unmarked necks with a felt tip pen to identify them.

I have a photo of a Northway tenor and the engraving does look light. I'm not sure why that is.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
This horn is on its way to me, and I so look forward to playing it. I will, of course, write a review of it here after playing it. But for now, consider me a member of the B&S club.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts