Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saxers,

I just bought my wife a Buffet R13 Bb and A clarinet matched pair in dual case for her birthday and spent about 1500 bucks. Serial numbers match production dates in 1963 and the keywork is tight, pads are good, no cracks in the wood, all the rings are tight. I've been told that the clarinets belonged to Lewis B. Hilton, clarinet professor at the University of Washington, St. Louis.

In the case, the seller included...

3 buffet barrels
1 Alexandre barrel
1 Harrison Lig
1 Luyben Lig
1 Dirksmeyer mouthpiece
2 Claude Humber mouthpiece

There's not a lot of info on Humber except he did all the famous sax guy's mouthpieces. Otherwise I'm not sure what these mouthpieces are. Also, I know the name Alexandre relates well to the clarinet but what is this barrel worth? I guess I'm trying to find out if I just made a good deal?

I'm kinda trying to find out if I made a good deal or not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
Even assuming the clarinets need good overhauls, you still did well. A freshly overhauled Bb R13 of that era will run you $1000 - $1500; an A will go for a couple of hundred more.

The Alexandre barrel probably isn't special - there was a clarinet manufacturer by that name. But don't chunk it in the trash; I could be uninformed about Alexandre. Buffet barrels run $40-50 apiece unless they are marked Moennig or Chadash - then about $20-30 more. I'm not familiar with the mouthpieces.

Most importantly, these 5-digit R13's (yes . . . the mystical 5-digit magic) are considered some of the nicest sounding R13's out there. As always, you judge by the specific instrument's quality, but as a group they are well thought of.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
R13 five digits, Mark VI five digits. If I ever manufacture woodwinds I'm gonna run the serial numbers up to 99,999, then start over again at 10,000. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Does it mean they had to make 10,000 relatively [email protected] instruments before they 'got it right' ? ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
jstin4all said:
Saxers,

I just bought my wife a Buffet R13 Bb and A clarinet matched pair in dual case for her birthday

Did you buy her a power drill for Mother's Day ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts