Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a strange saxophone, and I have found some information on it but it's not a whole lot.

It is a baritone saxophone, from what I found it's a Martin stencil sax. It has:
"Bel Canto
Soloist
Made in USA "

on the bell, and "Low Pitch [serial #] 8919" on the back.

Pictures of the saxophone are here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4F8iGRDsWildUY5N0ZTbGU3cnc&usp=sharing

Judging by the age, it appears to be from the earlier half of the 1900's, maybe 20's-50's ish? The case has purple lining and appears to be just as old, though strangely enough has no markings or indications. I don't know much about identifying saxophones, so any input at all will be helpful! I'm really looking forward to finding out more about this horn, and hope to learn some of its history. If you know a list of serial numbers for this model, Martin's stencil sax serial numbers, or just information about it that would identify its age, it'd be appreciated..Thank you very much for your help!

-Conor

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks like a Buescher stencil to me.
+1

Bel Canto and Soloist are trademarks of Penzel Mueller, one of the better US clarinet mfg from Long Island. Buescher was known to sell P-M clarinets, and P-M was selling Buescher saxes. At least a couple I saw on eBay looked like Bueschers. As far as stencils go it should be the better one, since P-M had very good reputation. Time-wise I'd say ~1950-55 (this is w/o looking at pics)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1

Bel Canto and Soloist are trademarks of Penzel Mueller, one of the better US clarinet mfg from Long Island. Buescher was known to sell P-M clarinets, and P-M was selling Buescher saxes. At least a couple I saw on eBay looked like Bueschers. As far as stencils go it should be the better one, since P-M had very good reputation. Time-wise I'd say ~1950-55 (this is w/o looking at pics)
Do you know of any things I could look for that would identify around what time it was made, seeing as it is hard to find a serial name list? For instance, there is no front F key, and the pinky keys for the left hand are the same as the keys on this sax I found online from 1926. 16-ACTION_3.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,140 Posts
Martin for sure. It is probably from the mid 20s-40s. I can't tell from the photos but it is probably keyed to high Eb. If it is keyed to high F, the 2 only RH palm keys would make it 1930s as Martin had an arrangement for one key to work two cups. The body rings indicate it is an Indiana type horn. These are great baris, some of the best. Big fat boomy low end.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
232 Posts
I am sure Bruce is right, ck out my New Era alto in my profile albun. Maybe 1935 ish, .what do you think?
Martin must have been selling to distributors and creating new name clones.
What a great find you have made.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Martin for sure. It is probably from the mid 20s-40s. I can't tell from the photos but it is probably keyed to high Eb. If it is keyed to high F, the 2 only RH palm keys would make it 1930s as Martin had an arrangement for one key to work two cups. The body rings indicate it is an Indiana type horn. These are great baris, some of the best. Big fat boomy low end.
Looks like my Martin HC "Troubadour" Bari to me. It also has the 2-side key arrangement.
Although the mechanics are a bit dated and you'll need some power for your left hand pinky finger this is a great sounding saxophone!!
cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am sure Bruce is right, ck out my New Era alto in my profile albun. Maybe 1935 ish, .what do you think?
Martin must have been selling to distributors and creating new name clones.
What a great find you have made.
did they even stamp Low Pitch as late?

with respect to beveled toneholes - Martin, another possibility it can be Couturier/Lyon Healy/Holton. The Mercedes guard is typical of Couturier (and also Conn). So is the beveled holes and bow fin.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
232 Posts
Wow, it's myAlto alright....and it went for $99. New pads and tune up $300 and it's a great player. I'm beating up mine learning to play and lugging it everywhere, but one day I 'll be calling Bruce for the real nice ones he has stashed away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts