Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUT, it seems like there are major trust issues with buying and selling! Am I just reading the wrong posts?

I have a long history on ebay, but I really don't use it any more because their fees are ridiculous, and they have almost no seller protection any more. I'm a member in good standing on drumforum.org and have had a great experience there discussing percussion with other members. I thoroughly enjoy participating in forum discussions because there is so much knowledge available with such a large group! What is the best way on a forum this vast for me to make a potential seller comfortable buying from me? I am new here, but I have been reading through threads for the past several weeks. I'm sure you all have forgotten more about saxophones than I will ever know. Any advice for a noob wanting sax info so he can find the proper buyer?

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Re: I joined SOTW because I need info on an OLD sax so I can accurately describe it and sell it, but

I have a long history on ebay, but I really don't use it any more because their fees are ridiculous, and they have almost no seller protection any more.
There is no "seller protection" here at all. Nor is there any "buyer protection." That's why the trust issues exist. Most people earn trust over time here. So if you're just looking to maximize profits, eBay might be your best bet -- even with their fees.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I joined SOTW because I need info on an OLD sax so I can accurately describe it and sell it, but

Thanks for the advice Mr. Laughlin. Can you tell me in which section I should post to find info on this old sax I have to sell? Is that simply a "General" post?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts

In The Marketplace there is an "Advice On Buying or Selling a Saxophone" heading. You could also look for info under the "Makes and Models" heading. There are also serial number charts and "value guides" all over the web...some are good, some are not so good.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

And the sax you have for sale is a......?

·
Registered
297 Posts

Put the information you have about the sax on here and you'll make a good start at finding out what some experienced folks think it is worth. Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts

and pictures please

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts

BTW, VW...is that an old Luddy or a Radio King ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

BTW, VW...is that an old Luddy or a Radio King ?
"That" green drum is 1953 Gretsch Dixieland snare. Thanks for asking!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

And the sax you have for sale is a......?
I've been told its a Grassi from the 50's.... But that's only one opinion (albeit respected). I'd like confirmation and so I sought you all out.

Put the information you have about the sax on here and you'll make a good start at finding out what some experienced folks think it is worth. Good luck!
Definitely hoping for an estimate on value!

and pictures please
And I'll work on the pictures right now.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't feel as though I'm not being trusted. After all, I haven't even had a chance yet! But I've been reading a while here and I see an awful lot of threads/replies that indicate a lot of scammers exist and I guess I haven't been exposed to them in my little world yet. I absolutely agree with "buyer beware" and proceeding with caution. I guess I've been very fortunate with my buying and selling to have had everything work out well.

As for pictures.... I contacted a gentleman on the internet regarding this horn and was told it was made by Ida Maria Grassi probably some time in the 50's due to the low 4 digit SN. It was also his opinion that it's a very high quality horn by today's standards although it may have been an intermediate level instrument way back then. He also wondered if it was a copy of a Selmer Balanced Action, but again I have no idea what that is. I assume that's a good horn or why would someone copy it? It's an alto and has all it's parts as far as I can tell. I don't know if the mouthpiece is original or not, but my reading here leads me to believe that's a rather individual preference. The mouthpiece, original or not, will probably not be used by the buyer....

My great uncle used to play alto sax in jazz clubs in NYC in the 20's and 30's and also played with the NBC orchestra. I wish he were still alive so I could get his opinion on it. He was quite the musician.....

Any "Grassi" experts here?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This could be what I'm looking for! Thanks MartinMusicMan!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I don't know who that is.... I see that he was involved in NBC's orchestra so I imagine they probably knew each other. They were born about the same time. My uncle was 95 when he died in 2006. He used to tell stories about taking the train from New Haven into NYC and lying about his age so he could work in clubs as young as age 15. He would play until 3 or 4am and then take the train home so he could rest and do it again the next night! He had been recorded on Decca records and would get 2 or 3 records sent to him a week by Decca of various Decca artists. He had thousands of 78's when I was young. I still have a few but most of them were stolen from him in the 90's by a "friend" that asked to borrow them but never returned them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts