Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought his CD today and am going through to find stuff to steal for the next gig. Its amazing to me how much he can express and keep extended, interest in a solo with next to no harmonic complexity. Its all a vocal style of instrumentally singing the blues. He's written 20 years of original tunes and is a corp/high paid band around here. {Northbay ) Check him out if you want blues licks or just a change from your normal playing to stick into solos. Range wise he stays alot in the staff and lower (on alto) and thats a range I dont play in alot. Plus he has so many background to soloist licks I can lift. i think Sanborn copied Eric Clapton. Tommy is my eric clapton. And yes its all blues scale but just try and play a 5 minute solo in this style. Its not as easy as you might think to keep and build interest. ALSO tommys time is excellent. I noticed that immediately yesterday when I heard him live. His band had a big fat pocket unlike the non headlining bands. Steal from wherever you have interest

I put this in Jazz because most great jazz guys steal from the blues off and on. At least the guys/womern I like K

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks I’ll check him out .....I’ve been wanting to do something similar— get licks from the Johnny Winter version of “It’s my own fault ” from the Progressive Blues Experiment album

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really , there are many great guitarists and you catch some unusual accents or slides or where licks start. Its all good. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,923 Posts
Check also Chris Cain and Robben Ford - both superb blues guitarists with licks that transform well to jazz.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
I bought his CD today and am going through to find stuff to steal for the next gig. Its amazing to me how much he can express and keep extended, interest in a solo with next to no harmonic complexity. Its all a vocal style of instrumentally singing the blues. He's written 20 years of original tunes and is a corp/high paid band around here. {Northbay ) Check him out if you want blues licks or just a change from your normal playing to stick into solos. Range wise he stays alot in the staff and lower (on alto) and thats a range I dont play in alot. Plus he has so many background to soloist licks I can lift. i think Sanborn copied Eric Clapton. Tommy is my eric clapton. And yes its all blues scale but just try and play a 5 minute solo in this style. Its not as easy as you might think to keep and build interest. ALSO tommys time is excellent. I noticed that immediately yesterday when I heard him live. His band had a big fat pocket unlike the non headlining bands. Steal from wherever you have interest

I put this in Jazz because most great jazz guys steal from the blues off and on. At least the guys/womern I like K
I like Tommy Castro. Clapton said the problem/challenge with the blues was to make each solo sound different. Not an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mike Zito tours with Tommy Castro often; I really dig his songwriting and playing style as well. Doing a cover of several of his songs in one of my bands: Gone to Texas, Get Busy Living, and Keep Coming Back. I’ll have to see who is playing sax with him on those recordings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts