Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a second sax right now, and I've read good things about Super 20s. Today I was browseing eBay, and I found this horn here. From the serial number, it appears that it's a Super 20? Or is it a Zephyr?

I don't know what the thing is, could anyone help me out with that? And pending what it is, is it a good price for it?

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,793 Posts
That looks like a nice Zephyr alto. It's not the prettiest, but it doesn't matter in a dark club.

I've seen these go for ~$400-600, or higher if someone like me is looking for a new toy. The price will rise.

I like my Zephyr alto, and gig with it regularly.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,665 Posts
Jazz -

If $ is not a problem for you, why not go for an S20? And a silversonic one would be ideal, but a brass one would be just fine.

I am not saying the Zeph is not a good horn; it is just that there is something special about the S20 that cannot be explained fully in words until you play one!

But, as Marty has warned others, be very careful about going for a Super 20: It can change your horn experience forever!

·
Registered
622 Posts
even if it's not a silversonic it will still play great. I used to have a silversonic tenor and traded it for a brass with silver neck and that horn is worth twice what I paid for silversonic

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alright, it is a Zephyr.

I am looking for a silversonic, but in my price range, I don't think I could even consider one.

If this horn doesn't push high into the 300USD range, is it a good buy? And would the serial number (295xxx) make it a fairly good Zephyr?

Sorry about all the questions, I've been playing for a five or six years on a Bundy II older than me, and have never looked at any other saxes.

EDIT: Just read off Saxpics, the 295xxx falls into an area of Zephyrs which were essentially S20's minus the octave and some cosmetic stuff, Is that true?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
That is indeed (IMO) the best serial number range of the Zephyrs and this one looks straight, if not mint. Assuming that the overhaul is decent and it only needs $100-200 of tweaking (not always a good assumption) it is probably worth at least $400 as a playing horn...the Brilhart Tonalin is worth maybe $100 by itself. That's the signature that the guy is honestly ignorant...shysters rarely sell mouthpieces with the horn,as they can sell them separately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts