Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my pearl flute on Ebay today and got paid immediately so I was getting ready to ship it and wanted to check it out one more time . Well I am glad I did because it has a problem with low C and B . So I contacted the seller and offered her a refund . Or she can wait till I take it to my tech on Monday to fix it . Am I doing the right thing by returning her money ?

Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts
Sounds like the right thing to me. I'd just make sure she knows you noticed it because you gave it a last look before packaging. Good communication can completely change a situation from something shady, to working with an honest, good seller. Especially online, considering the little communication on Ebay, and online in general. It's always nice to keep good business relations.

-Bubba-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I sent her a email stating that giving
Her the option of keeping it or giving her
Money back
 

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
Joined
·
3,564 Posts
If she doesn't want to wait, you could take it to your tech and ask how much for the repair. Then you could give her three options:
1. Full refund/ cancel transaction
2. Wait until it is properly repaired, then take delivery
3. Take it as is with a refund for the estimated amount to complete the needed work
Of course the third option would require the most communication, and probably some sort of contact between the buyer and your tech to verify the repair estimate.

Bubba is right when he says a little communication can completely change a situation. I sent a questioning email to an eBay seller from whom I have purchased 3-4 things over the last few months. I was expecting my latest purchase to have arrived Tuesday, and of course, have been checking my mailbox everyday. This afternoon I got a reply to my email saying the seller had undergone some difficulty moving, and my item had shipped later than expected. No problem, just would have been nice to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah well paypal told me I could offer her a refund and give her an explanation but i will wait till monday and hopefully I will hear from her soon
The other thing is she had a 0 rating and I don't sell to 0 rated people usually
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Agree with all - nothing beats honesty.
Telling about issues upfront, or right when they arise is better than apologising later.
 

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
Joined
·
3,564 Posts
Agree with all - nothing beats honesty.
Telling about issues upfront, or right when they arise is better than apologising later.
Agreed. A lot of regular eBayers probably would have sent it along anyway, and just blamed shipping if the customer ever mentioned it. I once bought a bari on ebay in a moment of weakness. It was allegedly in good repair and up until recently, being "played professionally." Pictures looked fine, and even showed a guy playing it. The moment it stopped being played professionally must have been the moment it was hit by a bus! Thanks to buyer protection I was able to send it back and get a full refund. The seller tried to claim shipping had caused the damage, but there was no way...the case was in great condition and the shipping box hardly had a scratch on it.
 

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
723 Posts
Am I doing the right thing by returning her money ?

Doug
I, for one, think that your honesty is commendable, and you should feel good about the way you handled this case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried to do a reversal through paypal now 3 times and she has declined and now she is giving me a negative rating ! I called ebay and that said their is nothing I can do ugh
 

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
Joined
·
8,588 Posts
I sold my pearl flute on Ebay today and got paid immediately so I was getting ready to ship it and wanted to check it out one more time . Well I am glad I did because it has a problem with low C and B . So I contacted the seller and offered her a refund . Or she can wait till I take it to my tech on Monday to fix it . Am I doing the right thing by returning her money ?

Doug
You've either just reached eBay sainthood, or you're using weak excuses for backing out of the deal because you didn't get enough money -- which is probably what your buyer thinks.

I'd ship the horn with the caveat that you found a repair item that needs attention. At this point it seems like you have nothing to lose and can offer a discount upon receipt to settle the Paypal dispute that will probably arise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol I guess so and ebay said I can relist it once I get it fixed so I will keep sending her money back and relist it on friday after i get the flute back tomorrow from my tech
 

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
Joined
·
8,588 Posts
lol I guess so and ebay said I can relist it once I get it fixed so I will keep sending her money back and relist it on friday after i get the flute back tomorrow from my tech
... and that makes me think the latter is probably the correct answer.
 

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
Joined
·
8,588 Posts
Just sayin'. Were I the buyer, that's what I would think. Not sayin' that's what you're doin'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a receipt from my tech for the repair and she also has a 0 rating this is her 1st transaction too
 

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
Joined
·
8,588 Posts
So if the horn is repaired now, why not just ship it to her as you promised, or are you now wanting more money for it since it's been repaired?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Joined
·
17,960 Posts
So if the horn is repaired now, why not just ship it to her as you promised, or are you now wanting more money for it since it's been repaired?
Because she already left a negative, that's why. You see, now SHE is in a bit of a bad spot. Because while PayPal disputes usually give the buyer a lotta leverage...Dogster can now argue (quite effectively) that he has repeatedly tried to issue a full refund and each time it has been slapped down. If he just never sends it...she has no recourse other than to take her money back.

If she is not going to rescind the negative upon receiving the flute...hell...if I were the seller I'd tell her I'd prefer not dealing with her any longer. Leave the neg, and "here's your $ back...best of luck and I hope you eventually learn how to act on eBay". She cannot do anything else, has no other recourse, other than accept the refund if she doesn't get the flute.

Pretty hard-nosed and a bit unfair of you, here Mad....

...it's not "sainthood" to give your axe a once-over one last time before packing 'er up and shipping. IF you do then find something....what else are you supposed to do, exactly ?

In one short thread you have basically accused Dog of trying to back out of a sale, then of trying to squeeze more money out of the buyer. Yet nothing in his description of events really suggests this....

...and then you try to wiggle out of it by saying "it's not like I believe that...just sayin'..."

Really very uncharacteristic of you.....

I mean...if Dogster has a history of this sorta thing, then maybe your comments are justified (providing you can illustrate that history). But barring that, I don't find your comments very appropriate at all....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thankyou I thought so too ! I have a 100% rating I am honest and I have a crazy lady who is harassing me and mr Madd is agreeing with her ?
 

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
Joined
·
8,588 Posts
Hmmm... Does seem unfair when you put it like that. That bit about not retracting the negative rating does weigh heavily.

From my experiences with eBay, the either party can always back out of the deal, but it doesn't stop the either one from leaving negative feedback as part of the deal.

I know this is going to sound hard-nosed, but you still haven't answered my question about why you don't just send her the horn? She paid for it, clearly wants it, or she'd have taken the refund. You have a buyer. This isn't making much sense to me if it's not financial. Is it because she left you negative feedback?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top