Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

Here is my take on I Got Rhythm. I have been working on this tune as part of this term's music assessment. I enjoy rhythm changes. This is with my new Mojo-Dukoff H7*. I love this mouthpiece, its tone and the way it feels to play. It's fantastic.

As usual, any kind of feedback is appreciated! :) Some lines are slightly clumsy (especially altissimo) (it's exam time - I've been studying for maths, chemistry and physics instead of practicing :cry: ) but I feel my rhythm is improving.

Enjoy (I hope)!

Soundclick link. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=949792

-JH

·
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really would love if someone could give me some input on the harmonic side of my lines. I am leaving the key a lot (on purpose). Am I approaching this "correctly," or perhaps in a way that sounds acceptable/well done?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Yes, very well done. As to "leaving the key", if one does it while following an idea and repeating the "lick", I think this is acceptable. I hear you doing this a bit. I know I've heard great improvisers do this with skill and imagination. Other jaunts away from the key are exciting and quite acceptable in this style as long as you bring the tune back into key occasionally. Of course you probably know this already. I do hear a bit repetition of "licks" in your rendition of the rhythm changes. You got going away from these after the first chorus. It's fast and furious and takes a "lot of licks", (LOL?, oops, maybe a lottalicks-LAL), to have under your fingers to keep it interesting. Geesh, if you're studying other stuff and still blowin' like this, you're doing great. Just keep it up! Don't forget the melody!

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
You’re definitely pushing technique. I liked the way you expanded outside of the chords and wove in and out. Suits this piece.

Stared off a little tentatively but your confidence built and carried well.

OK constructive criticism: Your attacks are mostly a "huff sound". This has lots of problems as you are not always centred on pitch and it is especially awkward when playing staccato (2:04). Maybe need to practice some tonguing? Altissimo is totally unnecessary and obviously a weak point. Avoid unless you are confident of the outcome.

You mostly kept going with lots of fresh ideas and only seemed lost for a short while at 2:18. If this was only an exposé of your technical ability then you've definitely got good ideas and fingers to match. If this is all you are working on then you may want to slow down and put some time into tone production and hear the notes you are playing. I hear fingers playing, but not notes that say to me that I'm in control of the tone and sound of each note.

Wish I could play that well at your age. Just round out the rough edges and try to avoid the trap of thinking that playing fast is all that being a good player is about. You also might want to try playing in a direction other than Mainstream. Not much future in Mainstream as there is room for only a few top pros (regardless of what your teachers or folks on this forum think it in the same past tense bag as Dixieland or Big Band).

Lots of talent and obviously you think musically. Might be a good time to think about where you are going if this is a career choice.

·
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I want to get into Uni Lecturing. Jazz music, of course. That's my main focus at the moment. I really look forward to a time when I will have few things to do other than practice - that is, not worry about physics, chemistry and maths and others....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts