Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it happened!!
I have a friend and fellow member who wants to sell a 1938 Balanced tenor and I told her I would sell it for her and she also wanted me to play it. It worked, I want it now. It is a factory re-lacquered 1938 BA tenor just overhauled by Randy Jones and fully engraved by Jason Dumars. I have played 3 other BA's and liked 2 a whole lot and one, not so much. This one is in a league by itself. It is quite simply the best saxophone I have ever played. Now, I understand why Harry Allen and Scott Hamilton play these horns. I also understand why everyone wants one. The big problem here is I can't afford this horn no matter what I do. I am trying to beg from well off family members which is not my M.O. This is a once in a lifetime horn and I somehow have to pull it off.

To all members who play Taiwanese and Japanese horns and all others, save your bucks!! My M'Lady is the best modern horn I have found, but this BA is better in all fascits other than ergos and the ergos on the BA are easy to get used to, unlike a 10m. Save your money and quit buying 20 different horns trying to find that sound. This is the sound everyone is looking for. Not the reference 36, but the real Mc Coy, the BA. Now, I am off to brainstorm and try to find a way to make it mine!

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The kidney....... sell that kidney.
kidney huh? That's an idea!! She wants my horn and a bit over 5k. The horn is worth every bit of 8k. As beautiful as it is with Jason's work added, who cares how it looks? It plays better than anything I have ever played and since I buy and sell horns often, I play a lot of horns. Kidney, Kidney!! Bone Marrow? The sax is worth more than both my cars combined, lol.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,149 Posts
Have you talked to the bank about a personal loan? Sure you can check rates online and such, but they might give you a better idea of your options if you pop in for a chat... Good luck, sounds like you may have landed your 'forever' horn, I really hope you can make it work!

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Hmm, this is making me reconsider my idea to buy either the Venus or Bauhaus curvies and start saving my pennies for a Yani one instead..

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
These are the 'Stadivarius' of tenors IMO--pre-war BA's. I had one 20odd years ago. Nothing on Earth--sax-wise--play and sound like them.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are the 'Stadivarius' of tenors IMO--pre-war BA's. I had one 20odd years ago. Nothing on Earth--sax-wise--play and sound like them.
Exactly!! I have heard that some of them are not that great in terms of intonation. If the great ones play like this, I don't see the problem. I still maintain that the M'Lady I play now is the best horn out there other than the BA or an SBA. I haven't played a mark VI that plays better, but this BA plays like heaven.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,561 Posts
Maybe she will give you a short term financing arrangement.

·
2,874 Posts
To top things off, that is a very sweet looking horn. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. When I bought my B.A. alto I had to do what I had to do to get it because I hadn't played a saxophone that was quite as perfect as that one. Whip out those credit cards and hold your breath.......

·
1,561 Posts
I think my heart stopped briefly when I saw the pictures. Dude! You CAN'T pass this one up!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,732 Posts
While I'm not a fan of engraving, that horn is very close in serial number to the BA that I bought from Fred Lamberson while he was still in Berkeley. There were only a couple notes that were dodgy - likely not an issue for you (low B and Bb) - everything else was sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Make it work, Bill. You likely won't see or play another horn near that one in your lifetime.

Enjoy the moment.

·
Registered
591 Posts
There should be a rule that says if you spend more than 3,000 bucks on a horn you are not allowed to say it is only a small percentage of your sound.
I think people can decide for themselves how much money they want to spend on anything, there's is no need for any rule to be imposed.
It's great for you to have found a less expensive horn that gives you anything you want.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts