Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... The problem is: I have no idea where it came from or who made it.
It is clearly made as a mouthpiece patch (as opposed to something someone cut by hand from some material).
It is clear.
It is 1.0mm thick.
It is firm but gives a bit when you place your teeth on it. It has a tough but grippy texture.
It seems indestructible. It doesn't have a mark on it. View attachment 234188
It's been on this Berg SS baritone piece since long before I got it. It isn't going anywhere! (The adhesive seems very tough and solid).
Man, I wish I knew where to get some more of these!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
A few years ago, one of our members here was making his own clear patches that he claimed would almost never wear it out. Perhaps yours is one of those.

·
Registered
809 Posts
From the thickness, rounded edges, & groove -- er, "patented teeth guide" -- I'm gonna guess it's a Silverstein OmniPatch made of food-grade silicone, 0.8 mm thick.

I bought direct from Silverstein a six-pack of Omnipatches in clear & black. Cushioning & durability are good. The teeth guide is a silly, useless feature; they've recently started offering purchasers a no-teeth-guide option. Adhesive is firm, yet allows a few cycles of removal/repositioning before it delaminates. Price seems high for what you get. The plastic pouch enclosing the set of patches is needlessly fancy & non-recyclable. They send it in a box that's way too big, at a fixed s/h rate that's way too high. C'mon, Silverstein, it's a small pack of flexible silicone thingies, you could send it in an ordinary envelope for the cost of a first-class stamp.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has no groove in it. You must be seeing the edge of the Berg black bite plate. So maybe it's one of the sans-teeth-guide ones. But it is at least 1mm thick according to my vernier caliper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
should you not find what it is I still stand my the CS-Hyde material which has delivered to me the toughest and most impervious patch (self made) ever (for me).

https://catalog.cshyde.com/category/ategories-tapes-with-adhesive-uhmw-tapes-1

In order to have it cut to the size that you want you have to have a Punch cutter made , I use scissors for mine.
Hey Milandro thank you!
Yes, I saw this from you some time back... But...
I think I must have ordered the wrong thing from them. Their catalog was not super-clear as to which product you were referring to.

So what I ordered was:
Product Number: 19-20R-BLK-.75-5
Product Name: .020" Anti-Stat UHMW Tape

This is black tape, 3/4" wide (~19mm), about 0.5mm thick, and I thought it would work. I think I got about 30 feet of it! Whatever the minimum quantity was.
Anyway, it was very stiff, at least in the 0.5mm thickness, so it did not want to conform to the curvature of the mouthpiece beak, and the adhesive was not up to the task of holding it tight to the hard rubber surface. It quickly reverted to its flat profile and fell off.
It was also hard to cut with razor blade or scissors, so the patch I made had very sharp corners which, at the 0.5mm thickness, were uncomfortable and unsightly.

Any specific advice as to the exact C.S. Hyde product I should buy?

Thanks, Milandro

·
38,865 Posts
sharp corners which, at the 0.5mm thickness, were uncomfortable and unsightly.

Any specific advice as to the exact C.S. Hyde product I should buy?

Thanks, Milandro
Hello SchlockRod! :)

The EXACT C.S Hyde that I bought no longer exists but it was way thinner that that!

The one I bought was the type 800-461-4161
19-10 BLK 1
10mil ( I think this is very thin and measure 0,254mm ) https://www.globalplasticsheeting.com/mil-thickness-compared-to-mm-millimeter-and-inches

1 black UHMW tape w/rubber Adhesive 1”. I bought 5 yds

Maybe you can find an equivalent, mine is indestructible

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The EXACT C.S Hyde that I bought no longer exists but it was way thinner that that!

19-10 BLK 1
10mil ( I think this is very thin and measure 0,254mm ) https://www.globalplasticsheeting.com/mil-thickness-compared-to-mm-millimeter-and-inches

Thanks Milandro!

"mil" is an outmoded unit of measure (as is "micron") meaning 1/1000 inch, and was supposed to be used exclusively for thickness measurements. To further confuse matters, I regularly hear CAD designers (who grew up using inches and are now involved in SI measurements) refer to millimeters as "mil", as in "We'll reduce this radius by a mil".

·
38,865 Posts
yes, it confused me to

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
45 Posts
I heard of these! But I only found them from European retailers. I forgot to check Roberto's.

I'm a get me some yo!

BTW, being Saxlicker, I can see where hygiene might be an issue for you! :)
Results?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,281 Posts
A few years ago, one of our members here was making his own clear patches that he claimed would almost never wear it out. Perhaps yours is one of those.
I think that was member Face Ache Mike, see this old thread:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?105060-Mouthpiece-Patch

But I don't see Mike posting here anymore and also think he is not making those patches anymore:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...hpiece-Patch&p=3202666&viewfull=1#post3202666

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
should you not find what it is I still stand my the CS-Hyde material which has delivered to me the toughest and most impervious patch (self made) ever (for me).

https://catalog.cshyde.com/category/ategories-tapes-with-adhesive-uhmw-tapes-1
In order to have it cut to the size that you want you have to have a Punch cutter made , I use scissors for mine.
I’m pretty sure I have the same as you Milandro.
I bought it shortly after you first mentioned it.
My roll will see me into the ground and has been shared with others also.
I still change them occasionally but they don’t really need to be changed, but when you have a good roll of it why not?.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,246 Posts
Yeah i tried some uhmw tape many years ago.
Permanent adhesive, 0.5mm = .020", etc.

Lasted about two minutes before it fell off.
Quite disappointing. Tried several patches on several MPs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Well my experience has been a lot better.
It’s been on several of my pieces and adhesion has never been a problem.
I’ve actually found it to stick well but also can be removed without leaving that gummy mess many of the other patches do.

·
38,865 Posts
Well my experience has been a lot better.
It’s been on several of my pieces and adhesion has never been a problem.
I’ve actually found it to stick well but also can be removed without leaving that gummy mess many of the other patches do.
I have used many dozens of self made patches and gave them to friends too

I don’t know which tape datsaxman has but it can’t have anything to do with mine since when I want (and exactly really don’t need to change it) I need to pry this thing from my mouthpieces and it really comes off with difficulty.

thickness is 10 mil (not millimeter !!!) way thinner than datsaxman is talking about, it is about one third of the thickness of a credit card, the mil is a specific plastic thickness measure unit , 10 mil equals 254 microns
https://www.uline.com/CustomerService/ULINE_FAQ_Ans?FAQ_ID=49

·
Registered
45 Posts

19-10 BLK 1

I'll check for local vendors first, but I'm impressed w/ https://catalog.cshyde.com/item/ate...ith-adhesive-uhmw-high-bond-tape/19-10hb-75-5 for it's high bond (HB) adhesive.

No longer black, but this off-white color can have nice high contrast possibilities for cutting custom shapes (ala Beechler's diamond inserts). Also, 3/4" is already nearly too large for Alto mouthpieces, so less cutting to size needed than w/ 1" wide. Yay!

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts