Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to their rehearsal tonight. This will be the first time since 1986 that I've played sax in front of anyone.
I'm a little scared.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just try to relax and enjoy (easy for me to say, I don't have to go), hope you have fun.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was born in 1986.

:eek:

Grats, by the way... I'm looking to get into some sort of regular playing arrangement too. Hopefully I'll be so lucky!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Rowka said:
I'm going to their rehearsal tonight. This will be the first time since 1986 that I've played sax in front of anyone.
I'm a little scared.
Congratulations!
Do you still remember which end goes into the mouth? :D

·
Registered
784 Posts
Good luck and just try to keep it fun.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
tictactux said:
Congratulations!
Should figure that one out ahead of time, I think. Sound advice.

·
1,370 Posts
Also remember that everyone there wants you to succeed! You are not in any competition and it should be a fun / enjoyable experience!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
Good for you! I belong to one and love it. Lots of good people/players in Community bands. Relax and have fun!

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Ferret said:
I was born in 1986.

:eek:

Grats, by the way... I'm looking to get into some sort of regular playing arrangement too. Hopefully I'll be so lucky!
[you're too young to be on here. Cover your ears.]

Great that you're taking the horn out of the house again! You'll be nervous for about 30 seconds, and then you'll have fun. There's nothing like playing with other musicians: that's what it's all about.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tictactux said:
Congratulations!
Funny. A kid in highschool marching band (I still remember this vividly) was learning to play the tuba and was failing miserably. The band director thought it best to let him carry a bass drum instead of a horn for a while.
Upon his initial introduction to the bass drum he looked up, and with a straight face asked, "How do you tounge this?"

No kidding.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Rowka said:
Funny. A kid in highschool marching band (I still remember this vividly) was learning to play the tuba and was failing miserably. The band director thought it best to let him carry a bass drum instead of a horn for a while.
Upon his initial introduction to the bass drum he looked up, and with a straight face asked, "How do you tounge this?"

No kidding.
:? :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck. I think you'll find playing in a municipal/community band a great time. I've played in ours for the past 15 years - since I was 15 years old. We play once a week in the summer - practice on Monday, perform on Wednesdays. Your sight reading ability becomes almost ridiculous after a while - it's a good thing. Our sax section is a 5pc - AATTB, and we've got one music major, one music educator, and two former semi-pro players. A lot of different experience to share. Plus, it's an additional paycheck for 12 weeks or so. :)

Also, if your municipal band has been around for a while, check the closets for unused instruments. Trust me on this. I found a beautiful 26m in one of ours that I paid to have overhauled, and it's now my "fun horn."

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I just got back. The director just started handing my 1st alto parts. Dang, It's been a long time since I've seen so many notes. ;)
It went very well. I think I played some of the tunes by sight reading a bit better than than the other two altos played after being with the group for a while.
My biggest problem we, of course, my lips giving out soon into the rehearsal. I ended the night by practically biting a hole through my bottom lip just to stay kinda in tune. That will get better.

TJ, I'm going to read your thread tomorrow. It's bed time now.

·
1,370 Posts
Rowka said:
Oh, it seems the director is a big J. P. Sousa fan.
Mine too! He even has a separate Sousa band he directs.
www.soundsofsousa.com

Glad you enjoyed community band! My ability to read music has really gotten much better since joining.
Keep us posted

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jax,
Meet at Parkwood Baptist Church on Tuesday nights.
Al Davis conducts.

I didn't know about an OP band.

I only stumbled on this by finding an ad Al posted on craigslist. A few years ago I tried looking for one but came up empty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts