Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started because I got my RPC mouthpiece today. Have not had a good chance to play it but gave it a few toots for a moment. Pretty nice first impression.

I went through my drawer and came across a white King mouthpiece that I got with an S20. It has the lig and cap. I'm pretty sure it all original because of the history of the horn it came with. Then a light bulb went off. I went to the Cannonball site:

http://www.cannonball-adderley.com/saxset.htm

That's the lig I have! I strapped on a reed with it and it plays GREAT. I STILL don't play like Cannonball:cry: , and really don't burden myself with trying to be a clone, but when I work on or think of tone on the alto, he is on the top of my list. I have been playing FL ligs. They are very good and I can get a lot of the tones on them. But this King lig adds a nice weight to the tone. I can't wait to play it some more.

Does anyone have any info on them? Mine is in good shape and holds the reed well. It has somewhat flat screws.

BTW the RPC has a great smell to it. Good rubber.

·
2,962 Posts
It looks like a pretty basic two-screw lig. How is it different from, say, a Selmer two-screw?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
dirty said:
It looks like a pretty basic two-screw lig. How is it different from, say, a Selmer two-screw?
Because it's like the one Cannonball played on. That's all you need.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've found that the old "built-like-a-tank" 2-screw American ligatures to be the best ligatures you can find. They do what they're ment to do...hold the reed. Also, they won't break or bend easy like the current production cheap ligatures.

I bet Cannonball had the same philosophy...:cool:

·
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a fairly thick piece of metal. Definitely not like the ones they make today. I really like the way it plays, not because its the one that Cannonball used, it just plays well. Much better than my FL. And seeing it as one that my main sax idol used, just makes it more fun. At least I didn't pay a stupid price for it. I basically got it for free.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
bluesaxgirl said:
Because it's like the one Cannonball played on. That's all you need.
:D

·
3,052 Posts
I can see it now...................................

"RAREST IN THE UNIVERSE........... PLAIN METAL LIGATURE WITH 2 SCREWS- JUST LIKE CANNONBALL PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!!.........YOU WON'T FIND THIS ANYWHERE ELSE THE GALAXY........ I HAVE THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF THESE LIGATURES ANYWHERE IN THE COSMOS SO GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST. THE METAL HAS THAT CLOUDY LOOK TO IT WHICH MEANS IT IS ABSOLUTELY ORIGINAL AND UNTOUCHED !!!! THIS LIGATURE WILL MAKE YOUR REED VIBRATE SO MUCH BETTER THAN CHEAP MODERN DAY LIGATURES MADE WITH BRASS THAT ONLY CONTAIN 15% REAL BRASS!!!!!!!!!!!TRUST ME, THIS LIGATURE IS A REAL PLAYER AND IS TRULY COLLECTIBLE. I'VE SEEN THESE GO FOR MORE THAN $500, SO $450 IS A BARGAIN. IF IT DOESN'T SELL, I MIGHT CONTACT VINCENT HERRING AND SEE IF HE WANTS IT!!!!"

Sorry for my cynacism, it could be the red wine I've drunk tonight, or it could be that I'm sick of seeing people push up the prices of gear that simply isn't worth it.......

peace and best wishes to you all
benny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts