Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
THIS is a really interesting and intriguing theory....I can actually see there being something to it....
I subscribe to that theory as well, when I started back about 7 years ago. I played alto AND bari in the 80's, and it was mystifying why tenor was more difficult at the time. I falsely thought it had something to do with size, even though there were tenor players less tall/big than I, and alto and bari bracket the tenor in terms of mp size, mouth position, etc.

Fast forward, I decide to start back 7 or so years ago, and this time I decide I really need to start on a Bb instrument to better transpose, before jumping back into the Eb world. I eventually find tenor is not as difficult, and after a year or so, I discover alto is more difficult to control. For a lot of material, alto would be better in range and faithful, but tenor/Bb is just easier to manage from a fingers/accidentals/faculty standpoint, and having to re-learn the embouchure and air control, I think I've just gotten the Bb tenor voice/thing in my head. I think its the voicing and compensation required to offset the pitchiness of any instrument, or harmonics alignment, or something intuitive. I know some folks switch back and fourth, and so do I, but tenor is like home now, effortlessly, good pitches come without thinking up and down the neck, while alto is a struggle: the exact opposite for me 40 years ago. AND, I still have my main alto from the 80's.

Its important, because I'd like to start working in more alto, now that my basic faculty of scales modes and keys is functional. I can transpose to about any key now, so C#, D#, G#, etc aren't barriers. I've hesitated because of this control/pitch/quality issue, that I know is going to require some setback to overcome.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It's a leak. Go to the repairman.
Maybe let a friend who can play tenor try it.
Uh, not so fast. For those of us that have swapped and shared many instruments with others, its not uncommon to blame the instrument, to then accept the humility of a better player making effortless music on the same horn..

I experienced the exact same scenario when borrowing tenors back when I was an alto player. AGAIN, I thought it was something physical with my embouchure, lol. So wrong. Today, its the opposite: I can wail on a tenor, and my altos are difficult to navigate top to bottom, across octaves, etc. Its not the horns..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts