Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,872 Posts
I'm a tenor player, for lots of reasons that I don't need to go into right here. And it doesn't surprise me all that much turf that you find those low notes on tenor more resistant than on a bari. I remember trying out a bari once in the music store. I had never played one and just wanted to see what it was like. I was really surprised at how easy and effortless the low notes, right down to the low Bb, were to play. So I would say it may be true that those notes respond easier on bari than on tenor.

I've also noticed that the low notes on my Buescher Aristocrat (both the series one & 156 models), and also a Conn 10M I play-tested, speak a little bit easier than on the VI, so you might find a VI to be even a bit more difficult on those notes than your Conn was.

In any case, if you play the tenor enough I think you can adjust. Not sure where the alto fits in with respect to the low notes. But overall, there really are some differences from one horn to the next, especially bari vs tenor vs alto.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts