Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been posting here for about 5 1/2 years, which is how long I've been playing my tenor, and last week, I finally got to play in front of an audience. There's a brand new community big band in my small town. I know the director pretty well, and he asked me to join though he'd never heard me play. 5 weeks of once-a- week rehearsal, 13 songs to get down in that time, and I did it! Lots and lots of practice for me; most of the other players are way farther along than I am so I took my cues from them. I don't think I embarrassed myself too badly, and I had a blast. Managed to get my picture on the front page of the paper 3 times; I guess an old lady playing the tenor is somehow newsworthy. Our show kicked off a weekend long jazz festival with a couple of pro-level performances. That part was pretty humbling. I still have a LOT to learn--and I'm ready to get down to it.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Thats great news!
I remember my first gig, and it was scary and a blast at the same time.
Keep performing in front of a live audience, and it wont bother you after a bit. In fact, you may even thrive to do it more and more because of the joy it can bring.

Let the journey take you where it takes you, and have fun along the way!!!!!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Sounds awesome, congratulations 🙂

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,606 Posts
Congratulations - I hope you have many more to come. I've been gigging since the 60s and it's still the most fun I can have with my clothes on.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It was newsworthy and big congratulations. It sounds like you were prepared and had a great time. I bet your feet are not touching the ground.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
Good for you! Now that you're a working sax player, you can start drinking, showing up late, calling everybody 'man' and wearing shades at night. This is a requirement so don't let us down! Seriously, that is fantastic. I cannot imagine starting out at my age and it took some fortitude for you to do this - kudos!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
:cheers:

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to membership in the community band world! These ensembles are a great resource for saxophonists. You won't read too much about them in SOTW, but they provide thousands of saxophonists of all ages with great playing opportunities.

Can you list some of the pieces your band played? Maybe your favorites ones? I'm always curious about other groups' repertoire. Were these traditional big band pieces, or new compositions, or both?

Is your band a member of the Association of Concert Bands? If not, you might consider joining, because there are many benefits, including a music copyright license. https://www.acbands.org/ My band's director is the current ACB president. Most member bands are concert bands in the strict sense, i.e., symphonic bands, but big bands in the standard jazz format are eligible too. Individuals also can join the ACB.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Congrats!
I haven’t played in a live situation for about 30 years.
Although I’m sure I’d be a better player now I would probably be even more nervous than I was back then.
Hats off to ya.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Concert bands are great. Ever changing repertoire, always a challenge to play with better players. That is how you learn. At least that is how I learn. Also, it is satisfying to play in front of a live audience.

For me, there is no down side. Enjoy the journey...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
What fun! Isn't it nice how an upcoming performance can encourage you to practice harder? And it's always great to do something you love with others.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Having been in a somewhat similar situation recently, I offer sincere congratulations.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Congratulations. It takes guts to put yourself out there for everyone to see and hear. New things can be terrifying... at least for me. I haven't played since high school for that reason.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congrats ! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts