Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I acquired an old Vito alto clarinet for little money. It seals, but I think some polsters need to be replaced in due time. Anyway, the biggest investment was a Vandoren B44 mouthpiece. With alto sax reeds (Vandoren Java #3) it plays well across the range, provided that I don't tighten my embouchure (much more relaxed than soprano clarinet).

Of course I am aware that there is very little material for alto, compared to soprano and bass. So I mainly have the instrument for fun now, without real plans to use it in the wind orchestras where I'm playing. Eventually it may be nice for clarinet quartets or small combos.

Anyway, so far it's more fun than I imagined, and I am thinking of getting that Vito overhauled at some point. Anyone aware of classical pieces (e.g. for clarinet and piano) specifically written for alto? I already have Hindemith on my list, but more is always nice!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I had one too. It was a wooden noblet, very cheap but good. I bought a Pomarico mouthpiece which was very good and I used altoclarinet-reeds cause they responded better then the altosaxophone-reeds. At the end it didn’t came out his case and I sold it and thought to buy a real good one in a the future. Still have the Pomarico.
The pieces of Bach written for flute violin and cello all would be great to play on the alto clarinet as it can go real low and high.
Cause it’s the same key as alto saxophone you can probably use any piece of that repertoire.
The Bb to B (and back) change into the registers was very hard to do for me much more difficult than on the soprano clarinet.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I too bought one cheap alto clarinet (Artley) and have just got it back from having some maintainence work done. I like the tone of the instrument and am looking forward to seeing where it takes me. I don't play much alto sax so it's sort of nice to start getting more mentally fluent with Eb transpositions.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am a nerd....I have 2 alto clarinets, a Selmer series 9 and a new Yamaha. Both are superb instruments with the new Yamaha winning out having a very pure tone. The Yamaha egos are also very nice, but I do like the double hook neck strap rings on the selmer for thumb rest balance. Most of the music I play I write so it's wonderful to have the Alto clarinet stand in for bari parts or alto saxophone parts. It is a beautiful sound, very clear. I don't look at the horn as a trap but as a view to freedom from saxophone tyranny. I currently use a Grauber mpc on the horn but sometimes switch to a Fobes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
I am a nerd....I have 2 alto clarinets, a Selmer series 9 and a new Yamaha. Both are superb instruments with the new Yamaha winning out having a very pure tone. The Yamaha egos are also very nice, but I do like the double hook neck strap rings on the selmer for thumb rest balance. Most of the music I play I write so it's wonderful to have the Alto clarinet stand in for bari parts or alto saxophone parts. It is a beautiful sound, very clear. I don't look at the horn as a trap but as a view to freedom from saxophone tyranny. I currently use a Grauber mpc on the horn but sometimes switch to a Fobes.
Dooooooooood, do you realize that you are on a SAXOPHONE forum??? :twisted:

“Nerd” doesn’t begin to explain it...

·
Registered
120 Posts
You know an alto clarinet is almost an acceptable substitute for a basset horn. How many basset horns have you run across this week? Just sayin'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts