Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say that I've had the opportunity to see Keith's work and that it's impeccable. I endorse him wholeheartedly and you can feel safe sending him your mouthpiece. And it's cheap too!

Phil Barone

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,646 Posts
I got Keith to work on a Link tenor rubber mouthpiece that I specifically wanted to use on a wind ensemble tour of Estonia. I normally played alto in this classical ensemble and tenor in pop and rock bands. Specific requirements for a specific use but my direction was just "to work your magic". And he did!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,515 Posts
Of all the craftsmen out there I have to say Mojo's work is one of the very, very, very few I never needed to correct. Ive redone a few but just changing tip sizes...not fixing a mess. Every piece was second to none in execution. His contribution to helping others learn the craft is a credit to his confidence and competence.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
For each fine mouthpiece craftsman in the world, there are dozen butchers. Be very careful who you send your pieces to. Keith is one of the good ones for sure.

If you notice, there are a few people who supposedly have excellent reputations, and YET there are a TON of their redone mouthpieces for sale out there, for some reason, people are ready to get rid of them. My first hand experience is that these people absolutely ruin mouthpieces. Sit up and take note of who these mouthpiece techs are and then avoid them!!!

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Thanks for the kind words y’all.

There are a lot of reasons refaced (and original) mouthpieces are put up for sale. I do not think it is a reliable indicator of bad refacing work. Even if the facing has issues, someone else could have messed with it or heat could have warped the hard rubber over time. I have had mouthpieces I have worked on sent back to me years later that we’re not like what my records say I sent out.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For each fine mouthpiece craftsman in the world, there are dozen butchers. Be very careful who you send your pieces to. Keith is one of the good ones for sure.

If you notice, there are a few people who supposedly have excellent reputations, and YET there are a TON of their redone mouthpieces for sale out there, for some reason, people are ready to get rid of them. My first hand experience is that these people absolutely ruin mouthpieces. Sit up and take note of who these mouthpiece techs are and then avoid them!!!
At least a dozen. It took me twenty years of doing it before I even had a clue and the chambers took me even longer and the chamber is more important than the facing. Every time you change your reed it's like changing your facing. And ya have to be able to play too and have a good concept and be very dedicated and patient. I don't know how many players came to me that had a very unnatural concept. Phil Barone

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,357 Posts

Alternately, maybe you see a lot of pieces for sale from certain refacers because they are in demand, and they do more work than others. I don't think refaced mouthpieces are all sold because they don't play well. I have purchased very many refaced pieces, and every one of them played well. Did I keep them all? No, I resold quite a few, but not because they didn't play well. I sold them because:
1. They did not play for me with the sound I am looking for.
2. I decided I wanted to try piece xxx and, feeling guilty about the number of pieces I already had, I sold one before I bought a new one.
3. I liked how the piece played, but I had so many nice pieces, that this one was not being used much...so why not sell it?
4. The refaced piece played well, but sounded almost identical to a piece I already had. No sense having two nearly identical mouthpieces.

Maybe it's luck, but I have not purchased a bad refaced mouthpiece. If you want to figure out which refacers do not do good work, just read the feedback threads on SOTW, weigh the arguments, and make your own conclusions.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,646 Posts
FWIW, I've had refaces by Keith Bradbury, Ralph Morgan, John Van Wie in addition to "error-free" original mpcs by boutique manufacturers. My eventual go to refacer was Ed Zentera.
This in no way is meant to diminish Keith's work. Just to add another perspective.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Keith took great care of my Otto Link New Vintage hard rubber mouthpiece after I dropped it on the tip! It came back playing better than new. Thanks again Keith!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If you haven't seen any of Keith's excellent Youtube videos, I highly recommend watching. It will give you insight into how he approaches mouthpiece work. Very informative.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I still have a Guardala Studio that Keith worked on that was my main gigging mpc on tenor for years. I've since found something that fits my tone approach better but that is one mpc that I just simply can't part with. A great player when I want the ultimate control and edge! Amazing work!!

·
Affordable and Reliable Mouthpieces
688 Posts
Thanks for the kind words y’all.

There are a lot of reasons refaced (and original) mouthpieces are put up for sale. I do not think it is a reliable indicator of bad refacing work. Even if the facing has issues, someone else could have messed with it or heat could have warped the hard rubber over time. I have had mouthpieces I have worked on sent back to me years later that we’re not like what my records say I sent out.
That's true. I've had to correct quite a few pieces worked on (and signed) by very highly regarded refacers. I can't believe they were sent out that way to customers. Heat seems to be the biggest issue in most cases (apart from people who decide to do some quick refacing jobs because they know better than an artisan who has perfected his craft over many years/decades).

·
Registered
715 Posts
I cannot say enough good things about Keith (Mojo) and I would highly recommend him . I found that I prefer hard rubber pieces and also duck- billed pieces as they are more comfortable for me to play on a long gig. Keith did a fantastic job of duck billing a piece for me and the work is so good, you would think that the piece was originally made like that. He is truly a great craftsman and knows his trade

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,244 Posts
Through my three decades of selling vintage pieces, I have had the joy of having MANY pieces refaced by Mojo, and all were excellent. He is one of the good guys and always willing to share his knowledge and help you get the mouthpiece that you want.

Two thumbs up!👍 👍

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
... I would add Matt Marantz to the school of homework and details, details, details matter. And yes, I had Keith's/Mojo work also,...great to work with and great end product.

(It's getting so I don't know who these bad refacers could be afterall?....I don't want to know)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts