Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing super valuable but nonetheless and old favorite for a good 15 years. It was a Vandoren 11.9 profile 88 Bb clarinet mouthpiece. Just an absent minded moment packing a horn away, wiping off the mouthpiece while chatting with someone and BAM. It slipped right through my fingers, hit the hard linoleum (I believe) floor and the tip broke off. Not worth fixing I would say but what a wakeup call!

Handle your mouthpieces deliberately and CONSCIOUSLY. Its like distracted driving. Bad things will happen if you don't.

and...While its true that our horns and mouthpieces rank amongst our most valuable possessions on the physical plane, always remember, keep it tucked into your mind, for that sad day when a horn or mouthpiece gets stolen or destroyed, that the music is NOT in these inanimate objects. The music is in YOU. Moving forward.

·
Banned
566 Posts
one thing i dreaded for many years was to break or get stolen my berg tenor piece.
i collected a few mpcs just so i had something that was close to the sound, if this thing ever happened.
thanks it hasn't yet!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I always try to be really conscious of not allowing myself to get distracted any time I’m picking up/putting down my horn or cleaning it off after a session...it’s very easy to lose focus for a second and Bam! I’m not always good...but I try.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,585 Posts
It's a Vandoren. Super glue the tip back on and keep using it. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah hope you saved the pieces, back in college I had a pretty bangin Slant Link that I got with the tip glued on. Still wish I had that one

·
Registered
342 Posts
Time after a gig is always for me a "best of times-worst of times" situation.

It's a good thing that people enjoy what you do & deserve time & attention...

On the other hand, I am SO systematic with my teardown!!!! I carry three horns & relative gear, plus on many nights I run the gig & am responsible for the PA. If I deviate in ANY way from my routine I run a huge risk of missing something!!! The potential of arriving at the next nights engagement & find something missing almost makes me Obsessive Compulsive!!!!

An extreme example is three yrs ago, someone was in my ear then entire tear down, a few minutes later my Mark VI fell out of my Gator bag, onto the concrete side walk, because I had failed to close the zipper!!!!!

Then we add in the time element of tear downs, quite frequently I have 45 min to 1 hr drive home, so I'm always aware of time frame from "Good night, drive carefully & God bless", to the time I pull away from the venue. (15 min for just horns, 25 min if include PA)

Sorry about your Mouthpiece... what a heart ache... I'd need counseling...or a Roadie

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,585 Posts
My favorite general purpose tenor piece is an old Yamaha (?) with half of the tip glued on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
With instruments and mouthpieces you must develop meticulous habits and be methodical in how you handle them. I absolutely love my mouthpieces and dread anything happening to them so I have become rather OCD about it. I use KIWI mouthpiece pouches and generally keep the mouthpiece in the bell. The bell also has a stuffer in it so the mouthpiece/pouch is kind of jammed in there. When handling the mouthpiece, I take extra care if I'm doing this over a hard surface, like concrete floor, pavement, etc. I figure three of my mouthpieces are irreplaceable, with a soprano piece and second tenor piece being current production. But just because you can technically replace a mouthpiece does not mean that it will play just like your old one. I think we all know they are all individuals. And for the ones that cannot be replaced, you are simply SOL and will have to learn to play something else.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sorry to hear, I know the feeling! A couple years ago I was packing up my alto and the neck slipped out of my hand with the mouthpiece still on it... broke a chunk off the tip of my slant sig Otto Link... hated myself that night and was annoyed about it for a while - I'm always so careful with my horns and in one quick second I broke a great original mpc. But it was a slip and it happens. Unfortunately for us it was the worst case scenario.

I didn't find the piece (or pieces) but Mojo was able to work some magic and fashion a new piece for the tip and get it playing well. It's a little different from what it was, but still a great piece. Nowadays I've been using my Reso Chamber (always being careful!) but have a picture saved from that night as a reminder of what can happen.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,182 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
That's why there's a shag rug in my jam space.... It also helps with all the sweet sweet loving my playing stimulates (not!).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
Handle your mouthpieces deliberately and CONSCIOUSLY. Its like distracted driving. Bad things will happen if you don't.
Most definitely. I was reminded of this about a year ago when I dropped my Selmer soprano Super Session J at a practice. It hit the floor, but thankfully wasn't damaged. They don't make these anymore and it was quite sobering realizing how lucky I was.

·
Banned
652 Posts
I feel your pain. My absolute favorite alto mouthpiece I have had for many years got stolen the other day along with my only working alto, also an old favorite. I am incredibly bummed out right now, and I hate the world for being so full of lowlife parasites.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I never mess with my mouthpiece or reed after I play. I just put the cap on and take care of it in the morning. Maybe if I lived in the desert I’d bother.
I’ve got two good EB Link 6s. A Tone Edge and an STM. It took me a while to find them and I haven’t found good back ups. Especially the STM. It’s has the most pronounced baffle I’ve found on any I’ve had.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not something one wants to see happening.....
I am assuming that metal mouthpieces are less sensitive in this way. So I am slightly favouring a metal mouthpiece for my next purchase for reasons of durability and (less) fragility.

Am I correct in assuming this?
what are your experiences?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Wonko - makes sense in general but I'd guess that any drop that would break the tip of a HR mouthpiece would (probably) bend or nick the tip of a metal mpc. The damage would be less than if it were HR but you would still probably need to send it out for a fix.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts