Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When people tell me that I don't have a classical tenor sax tone,
I wonder why my tone wouldn't be sufficient for Classical tenor sax.

Then I heard what most people refer to as "Classical Tenor Sax tone", and I don't like it.
My ex-band director had always complained to me that my tone wasn't classical and it wasn't what she preferred, (I've heard her preferences for a "good tone", I don't like them either).

I mean, he's a really great player, but I just don't like the tone at all.

It "irritates" me (or any C* setup) when I hear it, I don't why, it just doesn't follow up on a "good tone" for me.

I'm just wondering if anybody else thinks similar to what I'm saying.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Just as when speaking of "God", no one has an exclusive and final definition of classical tenor tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
The comparative lack of solo standing for the tenor means there is no reason to play it really well, unless you are part of that tiny minority the rest of the community doesn't care about.

Result: Tenors are only heard in quartets, and only played by performance majors who have to concentrate on alto and music ed majors who have to concentrate on everything else.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I'm playing tenor sax, I don't want to imitate other instruments,
I feel like playing a tenor sax.

I don't really feel like sounding like a string instrument (cello), or a euph, or anything else really.
Nor do I feel like being a clone of a typical sound, especially one that I don't like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
The first time I heard that sound on a recording, I didn't recognize it as a tenor saxophone. It is an unusual sound to my ears as well. Like a mix between some kind of bassoon or oboe and some kind of stringed instrument with a very 1890's Edison cylinder recording tonality.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
It's just a poor recording. There's nothing 'wrong' with his tone.
Bitch, bitch, bitch.... SUAP! :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
I love the barrel chamber tenor tone. Victrolaish tho it may be. It used to be called cello-like, but it's more human, more vocal-toned. But if it doesn't have a certain degree of edge, it strikes many people as un-tenor-like, even un-sax-like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
I just checked in with J S Bach through my cat, Pyewackett. Johann said there's no such thing as a tenor sax, but he digs the cat. "classical" tenor, if it did exist, would sound like Coleman Hawkins. I checked in with Hawk, and he also said he dug the cat. Both Hawk and Coleman checked around and couldn't find anyone there from Brownsville, Texas... Apparently your band director is confused.

·
32,938 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'd listen to James Houlik and reevaluate your opinion.

·
32,938 Posts
I wish more directors would listen to Houlik so they would be able to share an alternative to what "classical tenor" sound is all about.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts