Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
Joined
·
27,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just caught myself reading yet another who played what and when thread, and a thought occurred to me... I don't care what famous players use. I never did. Not once have I bought a horn or equipment based upon a famous player's preference. Just felt very liberating to realize this.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
I don't really base my choices off of who plays what, but I do find it interesting to know what people play.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
Joined
·
27,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I can't say I don't notice what a famous player might have used, or haven't discussed same. I mean, I think it's cool that Dexter used to play a 10M, but that's not why I have one. I mean as a motivator, I just never went that route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
As in all things, moderation.

I think it is helpful to at least get a ballpark idea for what setups hold potential to achieve what array sound or tone color (with the player defining the remaining individuality of course).

Beyond that though, I do agree that many players can get too caught up in it, such as holding unreasonable expectations that he or she will sound the same as the recording artist just because he or she obtained the same setup.

Given an easy access to the info, I guess I'd rather know than not know, just out of curiosity.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
Joined
·
4,466 Posts
Just caught myself reading yet another who played what and when thread, and a thought occurred to me... I don't care what famous players use. I never did. Not once have I bought a horn or equipment based upon a famous player's preference. Just felt very liberating to realize this.
+1
I'll go a step further-not only do I agree with you Grumps but I couldn't give a rat's behind about what anybody else sounds/ed like, who they worked with or what they think they know/knew-never did. Has no bearing on now.
There's absolutely nothing about saxophony that everyone should't be competent to do-if one cannot after time spent, then I say put the horn down.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
Funny thing.... I bought all three of my mark VIs without knowing who played them.... bought my NY meyer without knowing who played it.... it's really no different in the photography world. Everyday someone asks me what camera I use.... for some it's curiosity, for others it's a belief that if they use the same gear they get the same result... I should ask my dr what scalpel he uses, then I could be a surgeon.....;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Just caught myself reading yet another who played what and when thread, and a thought occurred to me... I don't care what famous players use. I never did. Not once have I bought a horn or equipment based upon a famous player's preference. Just felt very liberating to realize this.
+1
I'll go a step further-not only do I agree with you Grumps but I couldn't give a rat's behind about what anybody else sounds/ed like, who they worked with or what they think they know/knew-never did. Has no bearing on now.
There's absolutely nothing about saxophony that everyone should't be competent to do-if one cannot after time spent, then I say put the horn down.
I agree to a point. I'll never use something because somebody else did, but I find it interesting learning about who played on what. Thomas, I don't understand your post. "There is absolutly nothing about saxophony that everyone shouldn't be competant to do." With that logic, if you can't play like Brecker, just quit? You don't give a rat's behind about what anybody else sounded like? You must be awfully creative to live in a world of no influences.Sorry, that is simply a bizzarre attitude. In my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
Just caught myself reading yet another who played what and when thread, and a thought occurred to me... I don't care what famous players use. I never did. Not once have I bought a horn or equipment based upon a famous player's preference. Just felt very liberating to realize this.
Me either. It never concerned me.
If people think that if ya buy a horn that some heavyweight is using that they'll sound somewhat like them, then they are living an illusion.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
469 Posts
Just caught myself reading yet another who played what and when thread, and a thought occurred to me... I don't care what famous players use. I never did. Not once have I bought a horn or equipment based upon a famous player's preference. Just felt very liberating to realize this.
+1
I'll go a step further-not only do I agree with you Grumps but I couldn't give a rat's behind about what anybody else sounds/ed like, who they worked with or what they think they know/knew-never did. Has no bearing on now.
There's absolutely nothing about saxophony that everyone should't be competent to do-if one cannot after time spent, then I say put the horn down.
I agree to a point. I'll never use something because somebody else did, but I find it interesting learning about who played on what. Thomas, I don't understand your post. "There is absolutly nothing about saxophony that everyone shouldn't be competant to do." With that logic, if you can't play like Brecker, just quit? You don't give a rat's behind about what anybody else sounded like? You must be awfully creative to live in a world of no influences.Sorry, that is simply a bizzarre attitude. In my opinion.
Many artists try to scape from the stablished influences, that usually are no more than this; stablished influences accepted by the general public just like many people buy some gear trying to get the same sound and sometimes technique than some famous sax players.Lot of people accept "legends" as the only source for inspiration or study and never go further looking for this from artist that aren't that "legendary" or famous.I think influences are everywhere as well as inspiration, not only in music but in the daily life.
Michael Brecker recognizes in an interview to had spend some time where he didn't wanted to listen to any music just to don't receive any kind of influence.
Takeshi Kitano, a Japanese film director did the same with films.
In my personal opinion that's not a bizarre attitude, it's a very respectable one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I'm playing a crappy Aisan horn right now, and I'm doing my best to sound good. From what I can tell as a fairly inexperienced player, good tone on the saxophone is so reliant on personal technique. Coming from the electric guitar world, where tone is very reliant on equipment, it is interesting to see sax players also coveting the instruments of their heroes.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
I hate when people ask me what my set up is after a show because they will most likely form two erroneous conclusions:
1) why I sound the way I do, and
2) how their sound might be effected by playing my set up.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
Joined
·
7,921 Posts
I don't care what anyone plays, but sometimes I like to know why some people have a specific setup.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
469 Posts
Anyway on those days when trying to figure about set ups used by professionals, you just have to say Selmer and you'll be right in the 99.99% of the cases, then Selmer MKVI and you'll be right in the 80% of the cases.For the other 20% just say Selmer BA.:|:);):D
 

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
23,688 Posts
Anyway on those days when trying to figure about set ups used by professionals, you just have to say Selmer and you'll be right in the 99.99% of the cases, then Selmer MKVI and you'll be right in the 80% of the cases.For the other 20% just say Selmer BA.:|:);):D
Actually your percentages are a bit on the high side (especially the 99.99% figure), but I don't care one way or the other. :)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Joined
·
4,881 Posts
I am curious about what gear folks use to get their sound, but I don't let that info influence my choices -- usually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,940 Posts
Me neither...but I do want to know Grumps' setup. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
I agree with your philosophy Grumps. I sometimes wonder why we get so caught up on what the "Big Cats" play. They are famous for their playing, not they crap they play on. I'm sure Coltrane could make a leaky Bundy II sound good anyway...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,254 Posts
I bought a link for tenor because that's what Trane played. I bought an RPC because that's what Moody was playing on last time I heard him.

Obviously, I care what the famous players played on. But--it does NOT make me sound like them.
 
1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top