1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
583 Posts
I bet his sightreading ***** though :) .

But seriously, that was a great clip! Really loved it.
He wasn't called "the genius" for nothing - he probably wrote the arrangement as well. Did you notice the modulation in the middle?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Absolutely ridiculous - I wonder if someone can tell us more or if there are other recordings/videos floating around somewhere...

Thanks for sharing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,600 Posts
Ray Charles once made a guest appearance on the Smothers Brothers Show (popular comedy/variety TV show on CBS in the late 1960s) and performed in a skit as a busking saxophone player with Stevie Wonder accompaning on snare drum. He played a very bluesy alto.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try his Atlantic recordings with Milt Jackson

Search out Soul Brothers on Atlantic from 1958 for some great bluesy alto by Ray. He also did another session with Milt Jackson called Soul Meeting a couple of years later. I can't get enough of Ray on alto, he goes straight to the heart of the blues. No frills funk.

·
Registered
279 Posts
A recall hearing many years ago that alto was his first instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,163 Posts
Looks like a BA Selmer. I used to see Ray quite a bit in the early 60's and he always played alto on a tune or two.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
youtube comment: "Man this guy can play an eggplant with his *** and make it sound good.."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Thanks Blackwolf. Some people just swing in everything they do.

·
2,874 Posts
I have a couple of albums and a C.D. of Ray Charles playing sax. I thought it was common knowledge. :scratch: The guy just found music to be easy. The word genius is thrown about too much when talking about musicians for my liking but it fits Ray Charles very well.

·
3,458 Posts
Here is another one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Absolutely ridiculous - I wonder if someone can tell us more or if there are other recordings/videos floating around somewhere...

Thanks for sharing!
He is amazing...lots of footage on Youtube. However the best thing is the album Soul Brothers with Milt Jackson...where he plays alto on like every tune as well as piano...and the dude is amazing...sounds like a soulful charlie parker....they guy had mad skills.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts