Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Berklee for two years back in 1974. I really loved Boston, the college, the music scene, my classes. I was getting straight As. My problem was my endurance on Trpt. I could play well for 30 minutes then it all went to hell. Swollen lips, cruddy tone. so I really liked Berklee and I think If I'd been playing sax would have stayed there and tried to get into the scene. But I got depressed , left school and floated around being a clerk at a grocery store for a year before I switched to Sax and got back into Music. I'm so happy I found alto back then (two years into college) and flute 4 years ago. But man, I wish I hadn't gone to Berklee as a trpt major. K

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
I went there for two semesters in 1974. We might have run into each other by chance. I left after running out of money to pay for tuition, tried to survive as a full time jazz musician with too much principle to take better paying gigs, stopped playing altogether after year, and didn't start again until a few years ago - almost a 40 year layoff. Wish I had stayed with it, but can't complain too much. Back then we were playing for $25 a night and free beer. Now I'm still playing for $25 a night and free beer, except that $25 ain't what it use to be and I can't drink anywhere the amount of beer I used to. But at least now I can afford to be a musician.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hear you, man: I'm an ex-trumpet player too. Switching to sax made me rediscover my love of music. It just seems insane to me now, that thing of trying to use the raw flesh of your lips to do the job that cane does 1000x better.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I was a trumpet/French horn-playing music major in college and then in a service band but got more and more into writing. Decided that that would be my future, so switched to woodwinds (first flute and then alto) to get a better awareness of them for writing purposes. Ironically, I wound up getting a Woodwind Performance minor on my Master degree at UNT.

I was a good H.S. trumpet player, always first part and all-state everything but had trouble in college, like you. Pretty much didn't seriously play anything for some years then, when I returned, became a professional WW player. I had playing opportunities I would never have had as a trumpet player.

Another Berklee connection here but differently. Took the old Berklee Correspondence Course then, much later, went to four, two-week Berklee workshops in Perugia, Italy.

Back to trumpet, because of physical problems reverted back to trumpet with a different attitude and exercises and went to a practical E above high C useable range and a Double High C in the practice room. Too much too late, I guess, LOL.

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary did you do that book double high C in 52 weeks like I did?? I kept waiting and waiting and week 51 I still topped out at a squeaky F. It was so frustration knowing I had thing s to offer musically but no ability to demonstrate them. Now in Retirement I'm doing what I wish I had done back in 1980 when I quit full time music. But then again I have a paid for house and a retirement and wife and two dogs so maybe this turned out better than the endless nights until 4 in the morning and that lifestyle. K

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and if you can play a solid E on that metal torture device my hats off to you. I had that right before I went to berklee and blew out my chops playing too high 4 hours a day in ensembles. But I have fond memories of the dorm, the Jazz Workshop, meeting lots of cool musicians, the instructor Tony Texiara who wrote the Mc Donald Theme song. He would leer at any woman in class. Actually he was an instructor in college and he said I couldn't play a High C if my mothers life depended on it . Funny what you remember from college. the Jazz Workshop, Fenway park, the charles river run I did every day. I ran my course one time 7 times for 21 miles. NO money and couldn't practice much so I ran. So , i'm glad I went . Just wish I had had trpt figured out before I went. K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts