Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that the aroma of mold I'm inhaling? Or is it insect repellent?

Anyways, I've got to get new cases for a "The Martin" and an "Indiana". Both have left side bell keys.

I have a big old Protec case that I bought years ago, but both handles broke off. They just weren't strong enough for the weight of the case plus instrument.

Does anybody have a suggestion? What case? What seller?

Thanks,

Susan

· Distinguished SOTW Member
6,817 Posts
Hi Susan,

I've been using my Protec max (the square one) and Protec contoured cases for my martin tenor for years. No broken handles yet. You must be putting some serious miles on yours! Why not just get somebody to fix the handle for you?

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Susan,

I've been using my Protec max (the square one) and Protec contoured cases for my martin tenor for years. No broken handles yet. You must be putting some serious miles on yours! Why not just get somebody to fix the handle for you?
I'm agonna .... but I have two more horns in vintage cases ...

· Registered
709 Posts
I know Protec currently has a 5 year warranty on all of their cases, just food for thought.

1,122 Posts
And actually, even ten years ago they had a decent warranty. Did you ever contact PT after the broken handle incident? It's hard for a company to back up their product if you have problems and don't contact them about it.

If the original cases are in decent enough shape (and assuming they can be cleaned and used) you could probably find a buyer for them.

Collectors are always interested in original cases (provided they're in good enough condition), and some people just like having the original/correct case with certain saxes.

12,721 Posts
Bruce, I have an original Olds Super alto case. If you have any interest in it, PM me. It has the funk and I'm not putting a freshly overhauled horn back in it.

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And actually, even ten years ago they had a decent warranty. Did you ever contact PT after the broken handle incident? It's hard for a company to back up their product if you have problems and don't contact them about it.
Yeah. I don't know if I ever even thought about it. I was thinking about playing the saxophone!

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So on the Protec contoured case , I'm concerned about this quote from a review on wwbw:

when i attempted to place the saxophone inside the case to discover it did not quite fit. I was almost ready to return the product when my father pointed out to me that it was made of firm foam, meaning it would gradually mold to fit the shape of the saxophone if one was to bend the case a little at first. Having done this, I decided to keep the case, but be forewarned that there is a certain amount of breaking in that must be done with this case in order for it to work.​

No way am I gonna squeeze my horn into a case and wait for the foam to compress!

Same concerns here:

http://www.wwbw.com/Protec-MAX-Rectangular-Tenor-Saxophone-Case-620486-i1465927.wwbw

Those of you who have your Martins in these cases, was this an issue? Bruce, do you have experience with these cases + Martins? Or have any other recommendation?

They look a lot more "fitted" than the old Protec I have, hence my concern.

Susan

PS ... nevermind. I found the Pro cases on AMZ. See next message ...

· Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.