Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never play on my Selmer Mouthpieces, in fact, that's all that I ever used back then.
I've been playing on my Vandoren T20 99% of the time for classical playing for 2 years.
Then, once or twice, when I use my Selmer C* and D, my tone is very pinched and very prone to squeaking.
I'm guessing other people have something like this when switching to a completely different mouthpiece?
The Vandoren has different design to it compared to my S-80 mouthpieces.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Not really. I use a S80 C** for classical. Though my main mouthpiece is a Meyer 6. I don't have any issues switching, though the reeds are totally different on each mouthpiece. I use Vandoren bluebox 3s with the selmer, and rico jazz select filed 3s on the meyer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
I never play on my Selmer Mouthpieces, in fact, that's all that I ever used back then.
I've been playing on my Vandoren T20 99% of the time for classical playing for 2 years.
Then, once or twice, when I use my Selmer C* and D, my tone is very pinched and very prone to squeaking.
That should be a clue - you may be biting the beak and closing your throat. If you choose to develop as a player, it may be worth investing the time and effort to learn what's going on and how to solve it. If you don't care to commit, get rid of them!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That should be a clue - you may be biting the beak and closing your throat. If you choose to develop as a player, it may be worth investing the time and effort to learn what's going on and how to solve it. If you don't care to commit, get rid of them!
I think so too, I see myself using my bottom lip to seal the corners by going up.
I might as well see what I can do on the Selmers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I love the Selmers on alto but not tenor. Are we talking Alto or Tenor? If it is tenor, a C* or D is way to closed and an F would be my choice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
I love the Selmers on alto but not tenor. Are we talking Alto or Tenor? If it is tenor, a C* or D is way to closed and an F would be my choice.
I agree with this, and Dr G has a good point.

FWIW, I think that Selmer and Vandoren m/p's are very different animals, and although the newer Vandorens are perhaps more similar to Selmers, I've always Liked Selmers and disliked Vandorens. But again, this applies to alto m/p's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts