Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
allo'! kinda new here and I have a delema. I'm looking at purchacing a concert alto mouthpiece and from what ive been reading the s80 in c* is my best buy. however, many of my friends and private teacher have and suggest the soloist. both are about the same price but the soloist doesnt come in c* anymore.:(

·
Registered
565 Posts
The best thing to do would be to try them both out and see which one you like better

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You're not going to have to deal with us if you get a soloist. You will have to deal with your teacher if you get an S80.

That being said, I use a Soloist. You should be able to use a C**, with probably a different reed than C*. That... Or search the marketplace, Soloists pop up here, or on Ebay, or Craigslist!

-Bubba-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can get my hands on a soloist, however I cant find a s80 for me to try. Does wwbw have a good return policy?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I can get my hands on a soloist, however I cant find a s80 for me to try. Does wwbw have a good return policy?
If you give them a call, I believe you can order a few (3?) to try. You can then keep what you want, and send back the others. Get some painters tape to put on there so you don't leave any bite marks. Others can chime in to the specifics, or just call...

-Bubba-

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think you can order as many as you want and return what you don't want. There is a $5 staralizing (spelling?) fee to
keep in mind though for every mouthpiece you return.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have a S80 it's pretty good. Produces a solid sound. I use it for Jazz and Concert but more for concert.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,074 Posts
You can pick up a good used S-80 C* for under $50 (I sell them for less) and it is your basic. Isn't the Soloist still around in a C*? Even the vintage long shanks still can be found in the $100 range although the short shanks sell for $200 or more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the soloist in c* certainly still exists,however wwbw doesnt sell them in c* (though I dont know what the "standard" facing is), and im slightly scared of going through ebay...:(

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
the soloist in c* certainly still exists,however wwbw doesnt sell them in c* (though I dont know what the "standard" facing is), and im slightly scared of going through ebay...:(
Birdy - there's some erroneous information here.

First off - unless wwbw.com has changed their mpc test policy in the last six months, they will let you have four mpcs to trial.
- - you must telephone them and set this up personallly. If you use the internet store, they will charge you for all four mpcs. When you do it telephonically, they only put a charge on your credit card for the most expensive one.
- - when you return any or all of the mpcs there is a restock/cleaning fee
- - you must also pay for the return postage. nevertheless, this is a great way to trial mpcs.
- - you are not obligated to keep any of them.

You may order four of the same make/model or four totally different or a mix. for example, you could order two S80 C* mpcs and two Soloist C**mpcs.
- - or, you could order one S80, one Soloist, one Rousseau, and one Yamaha, just for example.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you want another mouthpiece to try, I have had good luck with the vandoren AL series. It is surprisingly dark and is very easy to bend pitches on for intonation. Easy to play quietly and blend as well. Go ahead and try the 4 though, the three's tip is too closed and it will feel like you are blowing into a wall. Just my two cents.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,283 Posts
If you would trust the opinion of an old lady and retired private instructor...
The Rousseau 4R is a better mouthpiece for a bit less than what you would pay for the Selmer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gah! Now I is all confuzzled....Im just going to stick with trying the s80 and soloist. However if I dont like either then ill try a Rousseau or the vandoren. Anything is better than the one I play on (which is an $8 piece of poop shaped into a mouthpiece).:faceinpalm:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can agree on that last part, good luck finding the "one".

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you want another mouthpiece to try, I have had good luck with the vandoren AL series. It is surprisingly dark and is very easy to bend pitches on for intonation. Easy to play quietly and blend as well. Go ahead and try the 4 though, the three's tip is too closed and it will feel like you are blowing into a wall. Just my two cents.
I agree. Try out the AL3 or AL4. I really enjoyed the pieces and recently switched over from a S80 C* to an AL for it's dark and controlled sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
The "standard" would almost certainly be a C*. You can always call and find out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts