Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

Im new here at the forums, and I'll try to explain my problem.

I've played Alto-saxophone when I was younger, but I've lost all my knowledge how to play.
I saw a program on the tv about 2 month's ago, and I decided that I would start playing again! I've read much here, and I have decided to buy a Alto-sax from G4M, but sadly they do not send/sell to Sweden!

I read about the THOMANN, their low-price-sax (all are copies if I have understood all right) that it had some flaws, like bad placements of the "keys" ?
Anyways, can someone help me out? I would really want this one:

http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind_Instruments/Saxophone/Alto_Saxophone_by_Gear4music_BK_and_Goldsefv_2.html

Or something similair.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,378 Posts
Stene: Welcome to SOTW.

I'm guessing that whatever inexpensive new alto you may choose will have been made in Taiwan or China. There are many brands out there that will play good enough (maybe even from the same factory just with different store/stencil names on them).

Why don't you check out Dave Kessler's website? He is located in Las Vegas, NV, and has a Taiwanese-made alto with his store name on it. He may ship to Sweden - you'd have to ask him. The Kessler Custom plays fine (I bought two not too long ago - an alto for my grandson and a tenor for me).

Other store choices for you may be Matthews Musik in The Netherlands, as well as Saxofoonwinkel, also in The Netherlands. I don't know if they have inexpensive Taiwanese brands, but at least you can drool over the websites. DAVE

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Can somebody help with this? I think it was Pete Thomas who has been recommending a really inexpensive sax that he stands by (for what it is). Anybody recall the name so you can give it to Stene?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
I assume you are talking about the Walstein, which has had excellent reviews, from Pete and others in UK.

Hanson also do a cheap alto, the Gulf, but I've seen no reviews of it..... however you do get Hanson's excellent after-sales service :) I think there may be some being sold by Hanson on ebay.

·
27,650 Posts
rogerb40uk said:
I assume you are talking about the Walstein, which has had excellent reviews, from Pete and others in UK.
That's it Roger, thanks.

Stene - Walstein! :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
I thought Pete has also said good things about the gear4music horn, or maybe that was just in relation to the one Steve Howard reviewed. I have definitely heard him mention the Walstein, however.

I was quite impressed by the Barrington alto sax I tried a few months back. It was obviously a Selmer Series II copy, albeit missing a few adjustment mechanisms and that sort of thing, but it actually played pretty darn well for the price. Intonation was spot on, and the tone was solid too. At the time, I said something along the lines of it that "If my series II is 100%, this horn sits between 75-85%." It was that good. I cannot speak for the build quality, however. It had a decent weight, but my Selmer was noticeably beefier. But, at the price, I could have bought nearly 10 of them for the price I payed for my Selmer. If it breaks, throw it away!

·
Registered
556 Posts
From memory, I think that Pete has talked favourably about both the Walstein and the Gear4Music (sopranos?)....

·
27,650 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
try the uk based sax shop www.saxophones.co.uk . they are great guys and also have the largest sax shop in Europe. All the beginners brands they have are decent. Tru a Trevor James or a Pro Sound London. Or an entry level Yamaha that will keep you going for quite a few years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts