Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have played Rico Royals for about 16 yrs or so now. They seemed to work really well on my jazz pieces when I got a good one. They have a nice quick response and volume, yet don't get too bright. They retained this warmth which I liked.

I'd been playing the older stock (in the dark blue box, from the 90's) and RSJ. When it was time to buy newer ones, I cldn't believe how much they'd changed. Apart from the obvious decline in cane quality (it's all green and pale yellow now), the actual cut seems to be different. Seems like more wood down on the lower portion of vamp maybe.

Anyways, I thought it might just be bad luck w/ the boxes. I just got 5 additional boxes and went through all of them. None of the reeds played at all. They were all dull and non-responsive. That's never happened to me in the entire time I've been playing sax.

Anyways, I read a post where Grumps mentioned a similar experience. Has anybody else? Did they change the cut? The other Rico brands don't seem to be too different.

Thanks

-Dan

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm not sure if they have changed, as I stopped playing Ricos a couple years ago, but I never liked them much. I have heard that reeds which have been "aged" play better (although what research is behind this I don't know). It may be a case of you playing on properly-aged reeds.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I have a box that have the texture of rough sawn lumber. P.O.S.itively Royal.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have noticed this decline as well. I haven't tried RJS but how do they compare to the old blue box RR reeds?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dshook said:
I have noticed this decline as well. I haven't tried RJS but how do they compare to the old blue box RR reeds?
I think the RJS are still alright. They might've declined too, but not to the extent of RR's. They're brighter and buzzier than RR's as well.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
dstack79 said:
Do guitar players have the same issues w/ strings that sax players do w/ reeds?
My dad recieved a package from musicians friend and was complaining how expensive his two new boxes of strings were. I think he said something around $45. I then made a comment about how at least when he got a box of strings, he knew everyone would be consistent and work well.

How many sax players does it take to change a lightbulb?
Only 1 but it took him 12 boxes of lightbulbs until he found one he liked.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I think it's not just Rico Royals, but LaVoz and also all of the Vandoren jazz cuts: Java, V16 and ZZ. I'm going thru the worst period I ever remember for alto reeds. I am thinking it is a combination of poor cane and the dry California summer. Oh yeah, for a while I thought Gonzales were it but my latest box stinks. I have some RJS that are at least ok. I am planning to delve into synthetics again real soon.

I've been adjusting more than before...and tried other mouthpieces with the same results.

Has anyone in a similar situation found they need to move up or down in strength?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
well, I had erratic experiences with Vadoren blue box, all of a sudden the strength made no sense at all and from 2 or 2,5 I had to go to a 1,5!
Apparently nowadays one has to look out for Chinese counterfeats bearing the exact same logo and in the same box as Vandoren originals (and maybe other brands too it wouldn't surprise me at all...) as it is stated (as a warning) on the Vandoren site too!

However I spent a day selecting reeds out of a box yesterday, Alexander superial that is. I am amazed at how different reeds are in a pack.

I understand it is a natural product but something has to be done to improve consistency! At maybe 40$ a pop for a box, it ain't funny to discard 3 reeds out of 10 and among the leftover ones find that you really like two. The rest is alright.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
just one year ago i tried RSJ and loved them, the unfiled were quite bright but not raspy, (were my favourite) the filed were slightly darker, but a slightly thinner sound.

now the unfiled are bright beyond belief and are nasty to play, when they get wet the grain raises up more than before and i even get tiny reed splinters in my lip!
the filed just sound boring now, not interested,
i might just go with lavoz for now :(
i stil haven't tried alexandria though

·
38,847 Posts
Alexander reeds (Superial and Superial D.C.) are very good, in general, maybe just got a bad batch, but I like them more than most reeds I've tried until now. Nevertheless I am thinking seriously of fibracell to improve consistency and cut costs. Reeds are too expensive nowadays!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
dstack79 said:
Do guitar players have the same issues w/ strings that sax players do w/ reeds?
Oh, I was just wondering what quality guitar strings D'Addario makes. Seeing what they've done with Rico reeds...

I made the switch to Alexander Superials, which I find to be similar to the old Royals. Never tried the DC's, but I'm a bit turned off by reeds promoted for jazz playing. Not like they were needed for the golden age of jazz in the first place. No, just give me a quality reed, and I'll take the jazz sound from there.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Grumps said:
But how are the guitar strings?
D'Addarios are very good guitar strings. They last long and have nice sound. I use them on all my guitars and on my bass guitar. Rico reeds don't come close to the quality of D'Addario strings.

·
2,487 Posts
tjontheroad said:
D'Addarios are very good guitar strings. They last long and have nice sound. I use them on all my guitars and on my bass guitar. Rico reeds don't come close to the quality of D'Addario strings.
i couldn't agree more

·
38,847 Posts
Grumps said:
Never tried the DC's, but I'm a bit turned off by reeds promoted for jazz playing. Not like they were needed for the golden age of jazz in the first place. No, just give me a quality reed, and I'll take the jazz sound from there.
D.C. are softer in tone and a little bit thicker than regular Superials, I use them on tenor. Velvety. Gve it a try. It is not a marketing stunt (they cost the same) so they are really different ;)

·
2,487 Posts
do you use the same tenor reeds on your C mel milandro,
anyway, how you gettin on with that C mel you got?

·
38,847 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
do you use the same tenor reeds on your C mel milandro,
anyway, how you gettin on with that C mel you got?
That was ancient history! I was planning to exchange my Dolnet with a Conn straight neck C Mel aseveral months ago but got a better offer for it and I sold it instead of exchanging it, so. No C Mel! Never say Never though!;)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts