Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips on getting past F# an octave past high F on alto?! I can sometimes hit G but not consistently. There is a classical piece that I would like to play, it goes up to a Bb(7). My goal is to play to a C(7) or higher.

· Registered
R&C 2V Sop, YAS61S, YTS61S, YBS62.
830 Posts
Sounds like you need a soprano 😊
That’s the only easy answer. Everything else is practice practice practice.

FWIW I’ve never gone that high either, but I never had the desire to

· Registered
752 Posts
Try A first. Do you have a high F# key? Fingerings that actually work vary from horn to horn, I use a book of finger charts. It saves a whole bunch of trial and error time, but not all.

It's like a chicken and egg thing, you have to hear it in your head first, but it's hard to know exactly what it sounds like without playing it.

· Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
881 Posts
I am on tenor, but alto should do this easier. Get overtones on the palm keys and the octave. It will get you up there.

· Registered
SDA, SBA. 62ii tenors, Yana, B&S sopranos
711 Posts
Does anyone have any tips on getting past F# an octave past high F on alto?! I can sometimes hit G but not consistently. There is a classical piece that I would like to play, it goes up to a Bb(7). My goal is to play to a C(7) or higher.
Just to clarify. If you only get to C(7) you are still a few notes away from Bb (7) - We always start the octave numbering from C. I think you meant C(8)/ I use this . He has all possible combos I think . Lower Altissimo - Alternate Fingering Chart for Saxophone - The Woodwind Fingering Guide

What piece is this? You are targeting 1 1/2 octave above high F correct? I find alto is harder than tenor and soprano even more. I can comfortably get to D and sometimes E above F is all I can do and probably need to.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to clarify. If you only get to C(7) you are still a few notes away from Bb (7) - We always start the octave numbering from C. I think you meant C(8)/ I use this . He has all possible combos I think . Lower Altissimo - Alternate Fingering Chart for Saxophone - The Woodwind Fingering Guide

What piece is this? You are targeting 1 1/2 octave above high F correct? I find alto is harder than tenor and soprano even more. I can comfortably get to D and sometimes E above F is all I can do and probably need to.
Thank you, that fingering chart is great! And yes I meant C8, the piece is Amy Beach's Romance; however, I might transpose it to a different key to fit the instrument better.

Here's a link to a great recording of the piece if you're interested in listening:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.