Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I admit I bought a 226xxx serial relac tenor from ebay. I am very nervous right now. Have it survived the shipment over the atlantic ocean? Will it play as described? Will I like it? Tomorrow the wait is over when the postman deliver it to me.

I did this cause the dollar is pretty weak now and I got for a reasonable price and it cleared customs. I guess that I am a gambler. Its the internet age and I took the chance. Wish me luck.

How was your experience?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I wish you luck. I have had pretty good luck with Ebay buys. However, I always plan on spending some time and money on repairs/adjustments. I've never gambled in the MK VI value relm, I guess I'm not as much of a gambler as you! I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hopefully everything will work out :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well, I admit I bought a 226xxx serial relac tenor from ebay. I am very nervous right now. Have it survived the shipment over the atlantic ocean? Will it play as described? Will I like it? Tomorrow the wait is over when the postman deliver it to me.

I did this cause the dollar is pretty weak now and I got for a reasonable price and it cleared customs. I guess that I am a gambler. Its the internet age and I took the chance. Wish me luck.

How was your experience?
Buh... (Shivering) I'll get an SBA from Kim Bock in NY anytime soon and I'm already pretty nervous... Apparently it has an awesome history of NY pro players owning it but eventually they all sold it so what does this tell me??
Yeah the weak dollar made a gambler of me as well. I already bought a 10M like that, just to try out a Conn (!!) Turns out I can't manage the action and have to sell it again..

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
I have bought a few horns on ebay that were a risk, as long as you expect that it may not be what you want then there is no problem. I only ever pay a price I know I will be able to recoup. That includes assuming the horn is not quite as good as described, e.g., "seems to be in working order" ="needs overhaul"

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wish you the best of luck.

My experience - I bought an old stencil alto hero over a year ago from the U.S. via SOTW that I thought would be a bargain. When it arrived it needed nearly triple the purchase price to get it in playing order (the tech did a great job). I really enjoy playing it but I'm sure I'll never recover even a part of my investment if I resell it.

It has scared me off buying before I try until: (a) I'm cashed up to the hilt, (b) I see a horn at a good price that I can't resist, and (c) my wife doesn't find out until it arrives.

·
Registered
105 Posts
People say it is about 50/50 chance that you'll get your money's worth on eBay. I don't know if these odds are accurate. Good luck with your purchase :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just received the horn and I am glad that it survived the trip! the condition is as the seller told me, it plays from top to bottom however you need to work it a bit down low to make it speak. my tech will have a look at it. Pads in great shape and keywork is slick an light. These mark VI:es has the best keywork out there hands down.

It is different from the series II and pf flier rth tenor i got. It has a somewhat brighter and more "ring" to the sound. Not as flexible but easy to play and intonation is spot on. I dont know the history of this horn more than its an old relac and the engraving is almost impossible to see anymore. I dont care much about looks, it plays fine and body is straight without traces of dent removal and such. I will now learn how to play it for real. I feel good about my purchase and this horn stays. I have to sell my pf flier tenor wich is great and also my series II tenor. Must play now!

Is it better than my seriess II or pf flier? Well, its different and keywork is much better suited for me. I have to give it some more time now. First impression is positive and thats a good sign. But it was not that wow factor at first note.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
glad to hear!! just as we trust each other on this site I generally use the rule of thumb..... buy a horn from a player,and not a dealer

....figuring out which players are actually dealers is the x-factor!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
however you need to work it a bit down low to make it speak. my tech will have a look at it.
Great to hear you've landed on your feet. I hope this is really the horn you've been looking for.

Please do get it properly checked for leaks in the bell keys though. Over the years I've had two complete overhauls/repads by the two of the most highly reputed technicians in Sydney on my 103.XXX MkVI tenor. I thought there was always something missing in my chops down there (you know; the 'it's me, not you' thing). It wasn't until I put it in for a $180 basic service with my current tech a few years back that I've experienced the full 'top to bottom' sound of my horn. When it's really right you'll believe the MkVI legend is true.

Good luck and keep on it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Cograts with your purchase, I'll guess you have to change your name now?... :bluewink:

I also made the switch from an SA 80 II to a Mark VI, almost four years ago, and I'm still very happy!

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
People say it is about 50/50 chance that you'll get your money's worth on eBay. I don't know if these odds are accurate. Good luck with your purchase :)
If you are well informed about what you are buying and the seller has good feedback, I would say the odds are a lot higher. I only had one bad experience out of a 116 transactions and that was because the seller wasn't on the up-and-up and had suspect pictures.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are well informed about what you are buying and the seller has good feedback, I would say the odds are a lot higher. I only had one bad experience out of a 116 transactions and that was because the seller wasn't on the up-and-up and had suspect pictures.
Yea, I guess your right. As long as your well informed the odds are much better :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts