Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought from China and it went so Poorly

Several years ago I bought a couch that was made in China. After two weeks the frame broke so I called the business that sold it to me and told them what happened. The lady insisted that my kids were jumping on it but when I explained that I don’t have any kids she continued to insist that the kids were jumping on it and I was forced to buy a new frame or eat the whole cost of the couch. In retrospect you could tell that the lady gave that speech all the time.

Then, since I’m in the saxophone business, I, at a colleagues suggestion, now long gone, decided to try a couple of sample saxophones from China. I could sell them for much less than my Taiwanese horns thus sell more and maybe make a greater profit. The two sample horns came and they were okay, Not great players but well made so I thought I’d start a student line and ordered ten more. Shortly after arrival, pads fell out, corks and felts fell off, the necks wouldn’t tighten down and guards and brackets fell off. Then Several weeks later a guard fell off of one of the samples. I gave them all to a repairman friend of mine for parts. The people in China wouldn’t do a single thing to rectify the situation, not a thing.

Then I bought two ceiling fans which not only cost me a lot but also cost me a bundle to install. They both broke about a year later. I had over $700 invested in that mess.

Then I bought a spoon, a large kitchen spoon. The handle handle fell off of when I got home. The I bought an outside lawn chair and when I sat in it for the first time one of the legs buckled and I fell to the ground hurting my back.

Then I bought a leash for my dog, one of those ones that extends from the handle. It broke less than a week later.

Let me see, what else, oh yes, then I bought two oven mitts. The first time I used them I burned my hands, dropped the pan and the food all over the floor. I threw them in the garbage the same day I bought them.

Then I bought three lamps. One broke in about a week so I called up Amazon but I didn’t have the box so I bought another one so I’d have a box to send the first one back. The new one came, the stryofoam made a huge stinkin mess in my house but I managed to ship the broken one back. Then another one broke so I threw it in the trash. Then another one broke so I threw THAT one in the trash. Then the one that I bought for it’s box broke so I threw THAT one in the trash! I called Amazon and they wouldn’t do a thing.

Then I bought an adjustable piano bench. I opened the box and there were no legs so I called up the company and they told me I had to ship it back so I did. Then, they sent me another one and no matter how much I turned the knob it wouldn’t adjust so I had to use a pillow. Then a week after I got it a button fell out of the upholstery. Then a week after that two more buttons fell out. I threw it in the stinkin garbage and ended up spending $600 on a piano bench made in the US not that the US makes such great stuff, they don’t but it’s better than stinkin Chinese stuff.

And then and then and then. Boycott Walmart. Boycott Amazon. Boycott everything Chinese. Spend a little more money and buy quality stuff that will last you a lifetime. Oh, and Chinese food sucks. It’s always over cooked and is full of oil and sugar. And don’t EVER buy a Chinese saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,405 Posts
...On the other hand I have bought plenty of Chinese stuff which works perfectly.

I understand this is a frustration rant but you should be putting things in perspective. You are right in saying that better made products (and more expensive) are a good thing for the economy where people live. But to say that every Chinese product is junk is just as wrong as to say that NO Chinese product is junk.

Ask yourself if the Largest economy in the world has become that only because they sell you cheap junk? If that were so we would be full of junk which doesn’t work and would anyone in the west ever repeat purchases?

Your comment on Chinese food is probably made in anger, I have eaten plenty of delicious Chinese food and there are few traditions in the world which developed such and incredible cooking tradition. You may remember that we Italians were often addressed in similar fashion some time ago (not such a long time ago) and still are. Italians and Chinese are not different, some are good, some are ok and some are bad. What are you gonna do ( about it) ? That’s life! :bluewink:

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Bought a chinese curvy a few years a go.... Lien Chang....beautiful horn....plays in tune, no mechanical issues....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,641 Posts
The general decline in the quality of consumer goods is frustrating, especially with the population ever increasing. I'm now living part of the time in an apartment, so I get a close-up view of what other tenants throw out. The advice given to Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate was "plastics." My advice for guaranteed employment or a can't lose investment opportunity would be "land fills."

I built a house a few years back and put in a small vintage U.S. made refrigerator. Because it didn't have a freezer, I bought a small Chinese-made freezer for the garage. I'm now on my third Chinese freezer (I don't think that there is a U.S.-made freezer). My fridge is still going fine, as it has been since 1932. Disposable appliances (and disposable diapers) should be outlawed.

Mark

Tap Sink Property Building Cabinetry

·
Registered
308 Posts
My Chinese made Apple gear has been consistently excellent over the years. As a camera enthusiast there was some initial hand wringing over the fact that Fujifilm is making some of their formerly made in Japan bodies and lenses in China, the Philippines and Vietnam.

So far there has been no drop off in build quality or performance.

And all Chinese food sucks?

I truly hope you’re being sarcastic with this post because that is just an ignorant thing to state if not.

I’ve personally benefited from your craftsmanship over the years via several mouthpieces and have appreciated your insights via the board but damn!

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
The general decline in the quality of consumer goods is frustrating, especially with the population ever increasing. I'm now living part of the time in an apartment, so I get a close-up view of what other tenants throw out. The advice given to Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate was "plastics." My advice for guaranteed employment or a can't lose investment opportunity would be "land fills."

I built a house a few years back and put in a small vintage U.S. made refrigerator. Because it didn't have a freezer, I bought a small Chinese-made freezer for the garage. I'm now on my third Chinese freezer (I don't think that there is a U.S.-made freezer). My fridge is still going fine, as it has been since 1932. Disposable appliances (and disposable diapers) should be outlawed.

Mark

View attachment 238122
I you want a vintage Hotpoint fridge with a freezer, I have one from 1954. It works perfectly.
Shipping might be a little high.
The only Chinese sax I had felt like it had metal filings flaking off of it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your comment on Chinese food is probably made in anger, I have eaten plenty of delicious Chinese food and there are few traditions in the world which developed such and incredible cooking tradition. You may remember that we Italians were often addressed in similar fashion some time ago (not such a long time ago) and still are. Italians and Chinese are not different, some are good, some are ok and some are bad. What are you gonna do ( about it) ? That’s life! :bluewink:

Defective taste buds

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,458 Posts
Yeah Taiwan is a different thing altogether. I tried out a Chateau tenor sax made in Taiwan a few months ago. It was solid and played effortlessly top to bottom. I'm still thinking about going back and getting it. For less than $2000 it's a steal.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
I avoid buying anything that is made in China. Taiwan is okay though.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I bought a ligature from China not long ago, and it was pretty good, especially for the price. I also bought an inexpensive UV-ozone light some months back to disinfect a sax, and it's still working great. Some of my favourite local restaurants offer Szechuan food and dumplings. Really delicious, and relatively healthy.

By comparison, a plastic case that I bought from California to store reeds in came with a warning that it might not meet that state's rigorous health standards.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah Taiwan is a different thing altogether. I tried out a Chateau tenor sax made in Taiwan a few months ago. It was solid and played effortlessly top to bottom. I'm still thinking about going back and getting it. For less than $2000 it's a steal.
Chateau is from Vietnam, much better than Chinese but not as good as Taiwanese.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,601 Posts
Hey Phil, just to let you know, the bari I purchased from you in 2009 has had 1 pad reseated (low B) and the water key pad replaced. That's all, 10 years of regular playing :) I love it! It will still whisper a low A.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
I purchased a pair of LED daytime running lights from China (on eBay!) for my previous car. They were designed to fit into a particular space on the grille with a peculiar shape, and they fit perfectly. Looked like OEM lights. I had the installation set up so that the lights would always be on, day and night, when the engine was running. The LEDs lasted 5.5 years and were still working fine when I traded in the vehicle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,258 Posts
The thing I've notices with Chinese stuff - for a long time - is that they don't seem to understand about the different properties of materials. I'm assuming they wouldn't do any stress tests or similar research to assess the suitability of parts. They just produce as much as they can as cheap as they can, undercutting other manufacturers. The service tends to be from non-existent to poor.

The big problem is that so many have bought the cheaper option it has pushed out the better quality makers. Better brands are now having items made in China too so it's increasingly difficult to find something that will be significantly different.
If you look at instrument brands they often don't declare where it's made. The Chinese are increasingly in the counterfeit game producing copies of Vandoren, Yanagisawa etc mouthpieces whilst blatantly copying Selmer Yamaha and Yanagisawa brands as well as producing legitimate student instruments for many of the main brands.

Our governments need to wake up and put pressure on China to make their trading legitimate and stop just accepting all they offer us.

Whilst it's true some of the Chinese stuff is badly put together and you get corks etc coming off, if a repairer spends a little time fitting good cork the instrument can be very usable. What should happen though is that all the crap with wobbly keywork etc should be sent back. Too much that simply isn't of good enough quality/ isn't fit for purpose, is let through and people are expected to suck it up or they are just put off playing after they've taken your cash. It's not really acceptable to buy stuff and bin it. Use your consumer rights and send it back for a refund.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts